News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

So, do all 1998 engines have the receeding valve problem?

Started by Milton, June 22, 2009, 10:18:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milton

And what kind of engine life can be expected?

Thanks,

Milton S.
1992 BMW K100RS 4V 49K Broken but not dead. She shall arise from the ashes!

1998 Triumph Tiger. This bike rocks!

Mustang

No . All 98's do not suffer from the valves receding . It depends on how you ride the beast .
Keep the rpm up in the 6k range for extended use . IE, hot summer day 2000 miles from home and you run the pig hard at 6 k for 8hrs a day for 4 days , you will need to adjust some valves sooner than later .

Other years suffer from receding valves also just not as prevalent as the 98's (there are more 98 tigers in the US than any other year)

My favorite 98 that gets ridden hard is on it's last valve adjust before it needs head work and I will easily get 65k out of it before it needs head work .

Others have had to do the head and valves with less miles and others have gone into the 75-80k range before needing it .

each bike is individual , and if you are buying a second hand steamer the owner should be up front with you and tell you what the condition of the valves are .........if they know .

now the coils on the other hand .................just plain suck .

JetdocX

I'd like to add that, if your valves are rapidly receding, simply throwing new valves in does not solve the problem.

It takes another head or if you can't find one, the old seats must be cut out and new seats inserted.  Not fun for the Steamer owner. :roll:
From parts unknown.

Milton

Mustang, Thanks for the quick reply. You've greatly reduced my worry.

JetdocX, thanks for increasing it again. :lol:

It just turned 6K since its last clearance check, at least based on what the PO told me. In the next couple of weeks I'm going in and check clearances, remove the cams and mic each shim just to know where it is. That way I'll have a base from which to estimate how the seats are performing.

I also have a 1992 BMW K100RS 4V and am a member of the k11og.org. I've got to say bikers are without a doubt some of the finest people I've ever had the privilege of knowing. I'm not sure what it is, if motorcycles attract a specific personality type or what, but I certainly enjoy the community. Well enough kissing up.

Thanks for the help.

Milton S.
1992 BMW K100RS 4V 49K Broken but not dead. She shall arise from the ashes!

1998 Triumph Tiger. This bike rocks!