News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Sludge in my Overflow Tank

Started by HappyMan, July 01, 2009, 02:35:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HappyMan

Over the winter my Girly leaked out some coolant as many seem to do when the temps dip low.  I probably lost less than a cup of fluid but I topped it off this spring.  I believe I'm paranoid but I've felt like my bike has been getting hotter more often than usual.  It's cooling off just fine when the fan kicks in and I really do think I'm paranoid and it's the same as usual.  However, because of my concern I opened the tank to peer inside this weekend on a long trail ride and I noticed some sludge.

Is this normal?

Should I flush it and if so how difficult and time consuming is it?  I've very little time before my next trip around Lake Superior.  

She's an 06 with 20K.  Not getting many miles this year as I've been terribly busy running a business during a slow economy.  Doing well though, just busy.  I hate to take it in and pay for something simple but I don't have much time to tinker so if you feel it's nothing please let me know.  Thanks in advance for any sage advice!  :thumbsup
Life is hard.  It\'s even harder if you\'re stupid. - John Wayne

Life\'s too short......Let\'s ride! - HappyMan

http://ridedualsport.com

JetdocX

Take it in and have them pressure check the cooling system.  Sounds like a head gasket leak, unfortunately. :cry:
From parts unknown.

stook

If you haven't done so previously, I think you are beyond due for a radiator flush. My dealer wanted to flush mine at around 8500 miles and was quite insistent that I really needed to do it regardless of miles if more than 2 years had elapsed since the previous flush.

SERadtke

Quote from: "JetdocX"Take it in and have them pressure check the cooling system.  Sounds like a head gasket leak, unfortunately. :cry:

Sorry to hear it John, a flush "might" clean it out but I'm with the doc on this one. I've got time and am game iffin your interested.
Shawn
<((()))><

Stupid people are PROOF that evolution is a hoax!

JetdocX

Another way to do this is the auto parts stores sell a kit to test your coolant for combustion particles which will give you a definitive result.
From parts unknown.

HappyMan

Thanks for the offer Shawn and everyone else for your input.  I've only got two weeks before I leave so I scheduled it to be dropped off Monday before I head off to Life Fest for the week.  They can fix it while I'm gone.  Everyone hope for the best and cheapest solution...... :shock:

chilly

Good timing with this post... I just flushed my 02' at 24k, and had a lot of rust/brown sediment in the tank and in general.  Never burned a drop of oil or coolant, runs cool, and gets 45mpg.

I am, however, ashamed to admit - as good as I am about everything on the bike, I had yet to flush the coolant.  Ooops.  So it was o-l-d.  I've done everything else on time (except brake seals & hoses).

Anyway, flushed it clean (my hose nozzle had a perfect fit with the filler cap so I was flushing all the way backwards and watching it squirt out of the bleed port.

So in with the new... I'll keep an eye on it and hope it's just some random sludge.
02\' Tiger with scratches and dirty spokes

HappyMan

I took a closer look at it today after working on my other bikes.  It's more of a rust sediment than a sludge.  However, I'm still paranoid and will drop it off on Monday for the dealer to look at.  I hope it's not anything major.  If it is I'll be taking my DR around the "Big Lake".

ridin gaijin

My older daughter & I flushed the system (twice) yesterday. The first time, what came out (our water/vinegar solution) still had a definite greenish tinge to it, so we did it again. What the hell, it was raining anyway and we were already wet. (My clever plan to get the bike out into the street to avoid messing up the parking garage backfired.)

However, I'd advise folks who are exploring their overflow tanks to be careful about the hoses that feed in. We removed, cleaned the sludge out of the overflow as best we could, and reinstalled; but the lower hose went in unevenly and pressed its black seal a bit inwards. I removed the hose and gently tried to coax the seal back into place with the result that it popped into the overflow tank. :- So now I get to remove the overflow again and go fishing for the seal, probably with chopsticks. Luckily I followed the manual's instructions and the tank is topped off with coolant to the Max level.  :roll:
2005 Tiger in Lucifurry Orange. Always something new it seems...

HappyMan

No head gasket problems.  Just needed a flush. :D  I'm not too pleased with the dealer though....hmmm, more in another post.

REGULATOR

mines lookign pretty brown and crusty,

but I'm almost do for my 12000 service, so wil lflush and fill it as well as all the other stuff

2004Tiger

Quote from: "ridin gaijin"... Luckily I followed the manual's instructions and the tank is topped off with coolant to the Max level.  :roll:
Is that really what the manual says? Or are you being snide? Just on general engineering principle, I say that the expansion tank level should be at or near MIN with a cold engine and a hot engine should not cause it to rise past the MAX level. Won't a fill to the MAX level result in puking out the overflow tube?
2004 Tiger. Black is beautiful. If I don\'t ride a little every day I get a little crazy.

ridin gaijin

Quote from: "2004Tiger"
Quote from: "ridin gaijin"... Luckily I followed the manual's instructions and the tank is topped off with coolant to the Max level.  :roll:
Is that really what the manual says? Or are you being snide?

As much as I appreciate the sentiment, I'm just not feeling creative enough ATM to make this stuff up. "Install the pressure cap. Now fill the coolant reservoir to the MAX [sic] level line." Then comes start the engine and stuff, let it cool, pop ye olde tanque again & check the level at the filler cap, etc.

Triumph Daytona, Speed Triple, Sprint & Tiger, 885/955cc '97 to '05, Haynes Service & Repair Manual, pg. 1-30 (Routine Maintenance & Servicing), section 27 (Coolant Change) para 15.
2005 Tiger in Lucifurry Orange. Always something new it seems...