News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

1999 885i coolant drain plug dripping- wassup?

Started by johnnyadventurepants, July 05, 2009, 03:53:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnyadventurepants

I just flushed the coolant system and now I am getting a little drip of the new coolant out of the drain plug.  Anyone else have this?  Is there supposed to be some kind of washer on the plug?  Too tight?  I looked at the diagrams on Bikebandit.com and I can't find the drain plug.  thanks!
\'99 Tiger 885i

walker

should be a copper washer on it.... I think the bikebandit part number would be 5576680-001 - same as the 955 motor.... the bolt on the 885 shows up on some of the 955 pages.

it's a copper washer that fits the M6x12 bolt....

WASHER,CU,OD12.5,ID6.4,0.8

So a copper washer, 12.5mm outer diameter, 6.4mm inner diameter, and 0.8mm thick (I think that's what all those numbers mean).

If you have the old washer - heat it up with a propane torch until it is glowing red, and then let it cool (or dunk it in some water). That will anneal the copper washer and you can reuse it (if it's not too deformed).

torque to 13NM (9.5 or 10ft/lbs)

johnnyadventurepants

Oh shit!  As soon as I read the word "copper", in the back of my head I remember sweeping up a little washer when cleaning the garage today.  Unfortunately, I brought out 4 big trash cans to our dumpster so I don't know about finding it!  Thanks for your post- great info!
\'99 Tiger 885i

johnnyadventurepants

Wait a sec... that washer is for the bleed screw right?  Not the drain plug.  (#8 below:)

\'99 Tiger 885i

johnnyadventurepants

:oops:   Ok, now I think I got it.   What was confusing me was not finding the drain plug on the cooling system schematics.  I think the drain plug and the bleed screw use the same part # washer.  So, the drain plug is #8 below right, and I am missing #4?  Man, I feel dumb right now.

\'99 Tiger 885i

walker

yep - that's it. Same washer size.