News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

I'm Out

Started by Bruincounselor, July 21, 2009, 03:54:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruincounselor

The Tiger cooked itself. No one seems to have any answers, but I'm done. Let me explain:

7 weeks ago I was doing my annual "Schools Out"  run and ran into some engine trouble. It sounded like the exhaust was loose and an exhaust leak was the problem. Except the exhaust was tight. I didn't feel comfortable continuing on so I stopped at the nearest gas station and tore into it. Tank off – things looked fine, exhaust is tight, intakes looks fine too. Hmmm. Remove coil pack #3. Looks great. Remove coil pack #2. Looks great. Remove Coil pack #1. Oh Sh!t, coil pack cooked, plug loose and missing electrode. Crap. Trailer bike home to local mechanics. Bore scope showed little damage from electrode, but mechanic recommended removing head for further inspection. One slight ding in piston, but recommend rings and hone as long as we are in there. Ok great. Order parts and wait. Wait. Wait. Head kit arrives but no rings. Wait some more. Rings finally arrive (must have been shipped from Japan to England to Georgia to the plains). Mechanic shows me carbon coated valve and suggests we do the valve seals as long as the parts are here and it's apart. Great. ½ hour later the mechanic is showing me receding valves on #3, valve guide wear on #1, a piston with scuffing and stuck rings, and to top it off it looks like cylinder #3 got so hot the threads for the sparkplug melted. Seven weeks of not riding is too much, especially during the short riding season around here.

Hmm.  The head has been off the old 885i 3 times in 5 years; enough. It's time for me to say goodbye. I have had a lot of fun on her and she is a great bike when she's running, but I must have a lemon or something. I hate to say it but I am searching for something more reliable and perhaps a touch more comfortable. I have sold her to someone who will put her back together and hopefully have better luck with her than I have.

Thanks for all the help over the years.
Bruin\'

fano

I am sorry to hear that. I hope you will have better luck with the next bike.

aeronca

wow, bummer. hate to see you go, but understand completly. how about the new tiger?
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

HockleyBoy

Sorry to hear your news but I can understand your decision, no one likes to miss thier summer riding because the bike is in bits.

Seems you have been unlucky with the Tiger, hope you have better luck with your next bike.
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

Tom Herold

That's a decision I'd say most of us would make, no one can fault you at all!  Losing faith in your machine and having it leave you stranded isn't anything I'd live with either.

Best of luck with your new ride!!!
1999 Triumph Trophy 1200
2002 Triumph Sprint ST
2005 Triumph Tiger

"When people believe you to be the fool, why open your mouth and remove all doubt....??"
Gen. George S. Patton

SERadtke

Sorry to hear of your troubles Bruin. I hope your next bike treats you better in the reliability aspect!
Shawn
<((()))><

Stupid people are PROOF that evolution is a hoax!

TigerTrax

Bruin...
You did the right thing.

I hope you find a suitable-dependable bike soon.

Stay in touch with us.... the family is getting long in the tooth and
we miss 'old friends and their wisdom' !

Trax
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'