News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

ECM tube

Started by LTB, August 02, 2009, 04:25:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LTB

I have a 955i -01
On the right hand side of the ECM there is a stiff tube going to the front of the bike.
What is it used for ? What would happen if there is a leak ?
The connection was a bit loose and i taped them together.  

/Thomas
/Thomas

Triumph Tiger 955i -01 Roulette Green

"There\'s no off position on the genious switch"

iansoady

It sounds like the connector for the atmospheric pressure sensor in the ECU. It plugs into the airbox and allows the ECU to compensate for high altitude etc.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: "iansoady"It sounds like the connector for the atmospheric pressure sensor in the ECU. It plugs into the airbox and allows the ECU to compensate for high altitude etc.

Agreed.  If there's any leaks, your ECM will have the fueling all over the place  ergo, if it's running ok, it's not leaking (although if it's running rough, it's not necessarily a leak, could be loads of other stuff).
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

iansoady

I wouldn't have thought leaks would make any difference as it's only measuring ambient air pressure.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: "iansoady"I wouldn't have thought leaks would make any difference as it's only measuring ambient air pressure.

.... on the throttle body side of the paper filter, where the bodies are sucking hard.  Triumph manual quote " The barometric pressure sensor measures the pressure inside the airbox. From this pressure the air density is calculated, and when added to other inputs to the ECM, the engine load is calculated.  With this information the amount of fuel per injection is adjusted..."  

The ECM uses the temp of the air on the box vs the pressure at the intake to calculate the amount of oxygen available and that plus engine temp and rpm tells it how hard the engine is working thus knowing how much fuel to inject.

Throttles wide open = low pressure throttles shut = ambient, or thereabouts.

Think about it,  if only ambient pressure was needed they wouldn't have gone to the trouble of connecting it to the airbox with a pipe eh?
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

AK Tiger

It's also seeing clean air (ie. no dirt).  A dirty hose could clog and that would be a bad thing.

If the ECU (AKA: PCM, VCM, ECM) is seeing a large differential pressure between the ambient pressure and air box pressure, somethin' isn't right.
Darrell
IBA 16091
2005 Tiger
2002 Tiger (Deceased - Killed by a suicidal caribou)