News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

12k service now or later?

Started by the cyclops, August 20, 2009, 07:28:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the cyclops

I just hit 12k on my 06.  I am getting ready to do a couple of big fall rides that I may put at most 1.5-2k miles on her.  I would really like to wait until after these rides to tear her down for a couple of reasons, one I don't ride much in the winter and I have more time to work on it.  Another reason is I hate to do that much wrencing and take a chance on breaking something that would take a while to get in or not get something just right and have it bite me on my trip.  The only real thing I am worried about is valves.  I would go ahead and do the oil and maybe some of the other little stuff like brake fluid, etc.
Growing older but not up

KuzzinKenny

is the 12k, Km or Ml ?? if its Ml i would do the oil and filter and give everything else a good check to make sure everything is tight !! the valves should be ok till you get back, unless you can hear them tickin !!  :)

also check your tyres for tread depth, 2k can be 1/3rd of a tyres life !!

its on your head, but i`d leave the brake fluid till i got back, just incase i left air bubbles in there !!  :shock:

have a great trip !!

KK
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

the cyclops

Thanks Kenny

I just put new tires (love the Shinko 705's) and will just do a regular service (no valves a clickin and it starts first crank).  I guess I just wanted some reassurance!  The valves will just have to wait until 14K miles (sorry I didn't have miles listed, its just 12k miles was the service interval and I figured folks would figure it out, guess I gave Tiger owners too much credit :lol: )
Growing older but not up

flux

My 12K service did not get done til 15K and 2 valves were tight enough that a feeler could not get under them.  

My 24K service just got done at 28K miles and everything was in spec.

blacktiger

I would suggest that you do an oil and oil filter change before you go away and leave everything else 'til you get back. Most triumph triples don't need shims until 24K.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.