News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

A black day.

Started by Nick Calne, August 26, 2009, 12:23:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick Calne

Oh dear, got nerfed off at 45 ish this afternoon.  Big slide down the road, so pretty scraped up and a smack on the head from a crash barrier post.  Nice finishing touch, I thought.

Driver who caused the crash didn't see the need to stop.  (against the law in the UK) Which makes an insurance claim a nightmare.  Police and then a long, long, cold, wet wait for recovery... All of which I can forgive and forget.  

However the Steamer badly scraped all down one side, gear change mangled, indicator ripped off and ominously the bike will not start.,  :(

Details and pictures to follow tomorrow...
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

Stretch

Aw crap.  Sorry to hear it.  But glad you're okay.

KuzzinKenny

Hey nickcalne, glad you`re here to tell us about it !! steel and rubber can be replaced easier than skin and bone !! it was probably 1 of the million uninsured drivers thats out there on our roads  :evil:

might be worth checkin if there`s any cameras in the area, even if they didn`t see what happened, you might see the cage and get the reg number !!

hope yer Tigger is repairable and you don`t have any lastin injury`s !!

KK
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

Sin_Tiger

That's not so good news, I assume the fact that you are able to post tells us that you're in not so bad shape and the gear all did it's job. I know the feeling of frustration when you just want to get back on and ride immediately.

Agree with KK, if you can't get insurance there is usually a good reason for it, stay off the road, any witnesses? Anybody bother to stop & help?

The Steamer is a tough old bird, hope you're a match for it, get the Radox out and head for the bath.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

gazoo

Sorry to hear about the off.  Glad you're reasonably OK - sounds like your gear did its job.

Best of luck with the insurance!

coachgeo

Dude keep a journal.  Lots of injuries won't show up yet.  Think back to your job etc.  Normal daily thingslike , how high you can reach up into your cabinets in the kitchen, on your job etc what is in that cabinet you use daily that can document your actions etc etc.  Things that document  your ranges of motion before the idiot.  Same with other things like; sorry for the graphic nature, average bowl movements times per week, color etc before hand, urniary frequency and color.... etc etc.  think about anything you can recall that might be some tiny bit of documentation.  

Not thinking legal action material as much as I am finding ways to measure any potential changes in how your bodies working so you can better communicate with physicians.  Can help diagnosis, thus healing times.  Be your own medical advocate. Proper money from Insurance is nice but a total healing and a life of normalcy is much more important.

Glad though that your able to complain!!!!  Thats a damn good sign.

Sorry to hear about your lay down.  Ugly risk of riding bikes.
COACH POSER (Till Tribota Tiger's done & I'm riding it)

JetdocX

Don't know about black day.  You got off a moving motorcyle and are here posting about it.  I'd be fucking happy about it.  Bike parts can be replaced.  Glad you're not in need of replacement. :wink:
From parts unknown.

Nick Calne

Thanks guys.  I'm in the day-after happy-to-be-alive mode.  Could do with some new skin though...

Thinking positively, this does present the opportunity to spend a little time and money on repairing and improving the beast....  Better present that proposal to the boss while she's in sympathy mode!

Other thoughts, steamers are much tougher than you'd guess.  Well on the outside at least.  What happens inside the thing is a different story as we all know....

On a final positive note it was amazing how many people stopped, help move the bike, called the police, offered a lift etc etc.  Kinda re-assuring to know that while there might be one idiot who caused the crash there was probably 30 good people willing to help.  Let's hope someone called in the number plate.  Loads of bikers stopped to offer help as they passed too.

Bixxer Bob

Sorry to hear this Nick,  where did it happen?

KK's right about checking out CCTV - even the traffic flow cameras.  We live in the most watched nation on earth, you might just find what you're looking for.

None starting may be down to the tilt sensor, although I'd have to read up to be sure.  Also, haven't some of you Steamer owners written up about oil getting into one of the pots if she's been on her side?
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Dr. Mordo

Wow, dude, sorry to hear it.  Hope you heal up soon!
1999 BMW F650

1996 Tiger

Nick Calne

Well with a bit of tinkering of the mangled gear lever I managed to find neutral and had a prod on the ignition.  Guess what? It started!  Yahoo.  Steamers eh?  Now to order some parts.... Any guidance or advice gratefully received...

Mirrors - Think I'll try Sprint Manufacturing in Westbury. Sin-Tiger did you order a set of these recently?

Indicators - There are millions on ebay, but no specific tiger ones.  Are any other similar vintage ones compatible?

Handlebars - How about a pair of Renthal's?

Handlebar mounts - Don't know.  More research required, might just require a new bolt.  Folks and yoke look straight, bars don't look too bent, yet something is amiss...

Gear change lever - ebay?  Might just be able to straighten it out.  Steel is so much better than aluminium all of a sudden....

and then there the fairings and the tank.  Scraped and flexed so the paint is popping off.  Has anyone attempted a spray job themselves?  Know a good professional in the UK?

Fancy a look at the damage:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=117159&id=723571861&l=89d0b6cf79

Bob - A4 between Bath and yes, Corsham!

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: "nickcalne"Bob - A4 between Bath and yes, Corsham!

I know it well, the farm shop selling Black Rat cider (have you tried that stuff?? It'd take the enamel off your teeth) just after the roundabout on that road.

Blind cager on the dual carriageway pull across on you?  Or was it on Box hill?
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Nick Calne

The dual carriage way surprisingly :shock:

Not tried the black rat but they still sell it there.  Probably good for cleaning the engine at a guess.  I try and stay off scrumpy if I can - Its effects and after effects can last for days on end.

:new_all_coholic

atokad

Ouch. Looks like you faired quite well though. Head hit a post?!? That had to be scary.  

How about a gear report, pants, boots, gloves, jacket etc etc.  Better load up on pain meds, bet you'll be pretty sore for awhile.

HappyMan

Glad you're o.k.  I'd second Atokad on the gear check.
Life is hard.  It\'s even harder if you\'re stupid. - John Wayne

Life\'s too short......Let\'s ride! - HappyMan

http://ridedualsport.com