News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

A good place to tap into 12 V under the seats?

Started by DiSt, July 09, 2004, 02:33:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DiSt

Hello all,

I'm planning on mounting an intercom box under my T709's seat, so I'd need to tap into the bike's 12 V but preferably not directly on the battery but someplace where there's 12 V only with the ignition ON. The obvious choice maybe would be to get a plug for the onboard 12 V jack (well I don't even know if that's a switched 12 V or not - I have picked up my Tiger only today so please pardon my ignorance), but looking at the jumble of wires under the seat I just thought there should be a better place and I don't have to run a wire outside the underseat area.

TIA for any hints. Cheers,

-- Dieter

NortonCharlie

I can't help with were to tap the power but the 12v outlet is not switched.  Which makes it convienient for charging the battery.

Is the T709 a 955i Tiger?  If so I do have a schematic for that model and might be able to dig through that for you if someone doesn't come up with a quick answer for you.
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando

ChrisN

If its a new Tiger the easiest place I guess would be the rear light supply. Personally I recommend wiring accessories such as GPS or intercoms direct to the battery with an inline fuse. This allows you to continue studying the route or chatting after you switched off the bike. There will be a very small drain on the battery by the intercom unit, but if your leaving the bike unused for any extended periods simply pull the fuse. GPS units usually have an on/off switch and are not normally left on unattended bikes.

Here's my underseat with the AutoCom box squeezed in at the back. I've installed a "blade" fuse shown sat on the battery for it's supply, The GPS uses the small white inline fuse stuffed in at the side.
Chris

DiSt

Quote from: "NortonCharlie"Is the T709 a 955i Tiger?  If so I do have a schematic for that model and might be able to dig through that for you if someone doesn't come up with a quick answer for you.

Thanks a bunch for the offer Charlie, but it's an 855i (the 955i is T709EN). Anyway, I've already made some headway collecting information from various sources, so... hopefully some time soon I'll have the intercom in place.

Ride safe,

--

Dieter

DiSt

Happy to report I got the switched 12V now; I grabbed'em from off the green-brown wire leading to a 15 A fuse, right under the fuse box (btw: any decent way to remove the fuse box?).

I forgot to mention in my original post that I need 12V not only for the intercom but also for an electrically actuated chain oiler (similar to the Scottoiler but uses magnetic valve instead of pneumatically actuated valve). In the latter case, having 12V permanently on is definitely not an option  :o

Dudes - this is my first weekend with my Tiger and it's P*SSING with no end in sight. I pity myself  :(  Otoh, I spent the better part of the morning tinkering around the bike, and got the intercom and top case holder in place. Had the weather been good I'd have been riding all morning and have accomplished zilch.

Thanks for all the advice; I'm sure I'll have to pick your collective brain some more in the days and weeks to come.

Cheers,

- Dieter

TigerTim

Dieter

I guess the weather in the Midlands (UK) will be the same for me this coming Thursday when I pick mine up. But hey, I'll just ride in the rain.

Regards

Tim
I\'m not a complete idiot, some parts are missing