News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

I might part out a 98 Tiger

Started by B.Curvin, September 24, 2009, 01:17:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

B.Curvin

I'm just gauging interest. I've not decided what I'm going to do with it.

If I do part it, are folks here needing parts?

I'm fixing a case of broken DAR at the moment. I'll ride it a bit afterwards and make a decision.

Here's the Tigger in question.

BTW, I'm new here. Howdy.

I have to admit to knowing FullMonte though.

Hittman

Dibs on the side case mounts!  :D

Dr. Mordo

If you fix the DAR, why would you part it out?
1999 BMW F650

1996 Tiger

B.Curvin

Quote from: "Dr. Mordo"If you fix the DAR, why would you part it out?

Reading all the issues here has scared me. What little time I have to ride, I want to ride.

I traded a plated 2005 XR650R for it.

I'd need ~3,500 out of it, which I'm not going to get. Parting it would net me

enough for a nice down payment on a 1050 Tigger.

I need a 2 up bike that's good for longish distances.

John Stenhouse

Your daft then, once the DAR is done, theres your two up bike. Tiggers love to be ridden
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

Mustang

Quote from: "B.Curvin"Reading all the issues here has scared me. What little time I have to ride, I want to ride.

I traded a plated 2005 XR650R for it.

I'd need ~3,500 out of it, which I'm not going to get. Parting it would net me

enough for a nice down payment on a 1050 Tigger.

I need a 2 up bike that's good for longish distances.

Puhleeze just because it's green like JetDocx doesn't mean it's bad  :ImaPoser

My favorite steamer , Tigger 2  has 62,000 miles on it and I just got back from a 7000 mile trip and would leave for points unknown on it tomorrow , it IS THAT RELIABLE !

These things are built like a brick shithouse !

Take care of it it will take care of you !

and you need to seriously think about parting it out .......the only place you will be able to sell parts for it is probably on flea-bay and other than the lump of engine (which BTW costs an arm and a leg to ship ) you'll be lucky to see 2 k for it .

If the bike has no mechanical issues and is a good runner  with fairly new tires brakes chain and sprockets it is easily worth 3k

But having said that .....I'll give ya $250 bucks for the wheels with the brake rotors . :shock:

oxnsox

QuoteReading all the issues here has scared me.
Don't be fooled by the postings... If you think about it anyone with a problem is, these days, going to go straight to the www find a forum and look for answers... by asking questions and getting answers.  Sooo... what you tend to see in the forums is all the problems.  No many folk log on to say " Rode the Bike to work today and enjoyed it..." (How long would that forum last??)

Hell if you look around some of the other bike forums there are bikes there that you'd swear shouldn't have left the factory.

But the fact is if any bike was as bad as some forums make em look then the manufacturer wouldn't be in business at all. For everyone that posts a problem there will be numerous others who just had another great no problems (no post) ride.

But the forums are great places to come and swap 'how-to' and 'has-anyone' stories... its like having all your mate's come into your garage and actually being interested in what you're doing in there... but without the beer... and bacon
¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
  If it ain't Farkled...  don't fix it....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sin_Tiger

:iagree Don't look at my posts, just about all the issues I am encountering were the cause of previous numpty mechanics or owners.

Grease nipples are there for a reason!
Air filters stop things going into the engine, stop doesn't mean they just dissapear!
Brake fluid doesn't last forvever!
And power tuning does not mean attacking the carbs and cans with a cordless power drill  :twisted:

They are great sturdy beasts, even with all of the above mistereatment it still rode like a thing possesed and probably still would be if I hadn't decided to take it apart but I am an unrepentant fiddler  :lol:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

JetdocX

I'll mostly stay out of this, but I've seen better equipment designed by third graders.  

I love my Steamer, but WTF?  One design problem after another?

I'll be riding her this weekend at the West Coast Ride-In.  Sans, chain slider(s).  Other than that, she's running like a raped ape. :D

I'd like to think it's because of all the hard work I've done, but I'm skeptical.  :roll:
From parts unknown.

Dr. Mordo

My bike has just under 80k miles on it.  It has had DAR, the Sprag failed, and that's it.  It has had other problems, but they are problems any bike would have that sat for years without being started or ridden.  

My goal is to get to 100k.  I'd be surprised if I didn't make it.  

Really and truly, the poster boy for Steamer problems is the Jetdoc, but when you look past him things really aren't so bad.  So if your luck isn't catastrophically bad, you'll more than likely be happy with the bike.
1999 BMW F650

1996 Tiger

nightrunner

Quote from: "JetdocX"I'll be riding her this weekend at the West Coast Ride-In.  Sans, chain slider(s).  Other than that, she's running like a raped ape.

Are you the one that posted that chain sliders are NLA?   Seems like someone claimed they could get them.  I saw them on Bike Bandit and ordered both the slider and the other rubber bit.  Don't need them but I figured I'd get spares while I can.
Scott

Seeking adventure and peril

aeronca

i just got a lower chain slider (and one for my swing arm) for my 95' at bikebandit. it took the typicle month to get it, but they had them.
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

Mustang

My bike bandit orders usually only take 10-14 days . They must like my money

Papalobster

Before I picked up my 98 in July, I did all the reading too. I came away with a perception that tere are a couple of isses with the Steamers, but overall reliable.

Having said that, I've had mine for 2 months now and other than a rejet and chain adjustment, I've ridden to work every day and no problems. Just over 3k miles so far. I'm thinking I should change the oil too. My tach is dead, but I found the cause, it was a wire that wore through and grounded on the gauge frame, I repaired it, but tach still doesn't sweep.

I came off of the epitome of stone reliable bikes to get the Steamer. An R100GS. I read reviews on how fantastic the bike was, how you could ride it to 250k miles and do nothing but change the oil and fart on the seat it was so great. It turned out to be the bigeest POS I've ever owned! Driveshaft failure, coil failure, starter failure, transmission faiure $2500 in repairs in 1.5 years of ownership. That was just parts! Sure they're easy to fix, but I wanted a bike I could just ride. FAIL! I guess I'm the JetdocX of Airheads......except I quit them!

In reality, ride the thing. If you get a huge problem, then worry about parting. Dibs on the CDI and tach (My tach doesn't work, not sure if it's the CDI or Tach).

Nick Calne

Steamer are good bikes to ride as I'm sure you know by now.  Something magical about them.  But your bike is over ten years old, it is always going to have some issues.  I'd fix the bike up and ride it round for a couple of years and get a bit of enjoyment out of it.  It will be worth the same money if you break it for parts in two years and probably more money if you break in five years when parts are getting a bit more scarce.  So isn't that like free motorbiking or something?

PUS You get to hang out with us guys and talk crap!!!. :Topes
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?