News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Valve Adjustment Help

Started by Fe Man, September 25, 2009, 02:29:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fe Man

I have an 06 Tiger w/19K miles and it needs a valve adjustment! I would take it to the local dealer but I just lost my job and can't spend the money.

I need advice and a valve shim tool and advice; can anyone offer some help?

Bixxer Bob

Without wishing to sound unhelpful,  use the search facility,  there's loads of info on here already.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Fe Man

Let me rephrase:

Anyone have a valve tool I can borrow?

EvilBetty

There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

zombie

blacktiger

Quote from: "Fe Man"Let me rephrase:

Anyone have a valve tool I can borrow?

You don't need a valve tool. You can just get the shims out by removing all the cam bearing caps and lifting the cams slightly. This doesn't disturb the cam chain or mess up the cam timing. All you're doing is raising the cam enough to extrct the shim which, on my '02, is on top of the bucket................I know the '06 had certain differences so it could be different on the '06.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

Fe Man

so its got 19K miles and I need to make a trip from Atlanta to Nashville and back, probably a little over 500 miles. The tiger seems to be running great it's a bit hard to start sometimes during hot weather...
I hear no strange noises but I'm new to the whole Triumph thing, maybe I wouldn't recognize valve noise.

What should I do; ride the Tiger or my wife's KLR? (no KLR cracks please)

Mustang

ride the tiger
, I seriously doubt the valves are out of adjustment  :D