News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Chain Maintenance & Lubrification

Started by Nimrod11, October 07, 2009, 03:08:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nimrod11

Friends,

I hope I am not repeating another topic. I searched, but found nothing.

I was just wondering what you all do for your chain maintenance. The Haynes manual explicitly says not to use compressed water but I notice this is quite a common practice.

I usually just use chain oil or chain grease every now and then. After a trip this last weekend, including 50 km along a beach, I did use a lot of WD-40 to clean it up and then lubed it.

Would love to hear other experiences.

Thanks,
John
----------
Tiger 2004

n4naked

john,

i'm not particularly mechanically-minded but i've been told that wd-40 is one of the last things you should put near a chain....something to do with perishing seals.
i'm sure someone more qualified can elaborate.

flux

I use Motul Chain Clean... its a little pricey but works amazingly to clean up a nasty chain.  Apply, wipe off with a rag, then use chain lube.  I prefer PJ1 Black Label but everyone has their own favorite.

Loops

Hi Nimrod11,

Never heard of anyone using compressed water to clean a chain, actually sounds like a daft idea, think of all that rust.  Don't we grease  oil a chain to lube and keep off the rust???

On my Tiger I have a touring Scott oiler, reservoir behind the number plate and delivery tube to rear sprocket.  These are briliant no matter what anyone says but they do also lube the rear mudguard, number plate etc

On the 400s I clean the chain (bike on center stand) with a device that clamps around the chain and has bristles inside it.  I use eiher aerosol cleaner or parrafin to clean then after 30 mins drying time I squirt some chain lube on andleave that 30 mins to allow the solvents to evaporate.

Cheers
Loops
The more I drive the more I love my Tiger

1999 efi Tiger Yellow ~ 86k miles
2012 HD Electra Glide Classic ~ 40k miles
and Her 250 Rebel ~ 5k miles (and only did 16 miles last year!!)

FrostedFlake

On o-ring chains, I've always used WD-40 BEFORE washing the bike(the "WD" stands for "water displacement", which keeps the moisture from penetrating and causing rust).  I'll spray it on liberally, then use a Grunge Brush to loosen the - well, grunge - and then wash with a garden hose.  The WD-40 does a good job on old lube and road grime, and according to their website and a couple of chain suppliers, lubricates the o-rings without harming them.  I apply a light coating after the chain is clean, just to keep the plates looking good.   :thumbsup

Stretch

I clean my chains with WD-40, then spray with Simple Green and rinse.  I lube with chain saw bar oil (thick and sticky, and I always seem to have a gallon of it floating around the shop).

Nimrod11

Quote from: "Stretch"I clean my chains with WD-40

Wow, if Stretch does it, then we are all allowed to!!!   :lol:

Thanks for all the tips. I personally think that the WD-40 not being used on chains is a myth - should we call the mythbusters??? I do agree it IS NOT A LUBE, but it is a good water repellent and cleaner. The chain has to be lubed after "WDed".

Some years ago I was managing a helicopter company and we were going to fly 4 new Sikorskys down from NY state to Brazil, flying over the Caribbean. I sent a crew of 8 pilots and the chief mechanic, a very experienced helicopter mechanic. I asked him what he needed for the trip and he told me he wanted $300 to buy some tools at Sears and a box of WD-40. The trip took two weeks and he would spray all the rotor head every night with WD-40. OK, it is not a motorcycle chain, but still, if aviation guys use it, must be good stuff.

The WD-40 webpage talks about it, but then it just about suggests WD-40 for anything under the sun. Another very interesting discussion may be found here: http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/forum/showth ... -40+letter

Seems that a lot of experienced guys have used WD-40 for a long time and like the stuff. Again, it is not a lube!

Great info here, thanks!

John
----------
Tiger 2004

Stretch

I'm a huge fan of WD-40.  I buy it in gallon cans, then put it in trigger sprayers and squeeze bottles.

flux

Quote from: "Stretch"I'm a huge fan of WD-40.  I buy it in gallon cans, then put it in trigger sprayers and squeeze bottles, and even in my Camelbak.

Fixed for ya... you know... to reflect reality and all.  
 8)

Stretch

It's great after-shave too.

Medic09

Quote from: "Stretch"It's great after-shave too.

Don't forget a quick gargle/mouthwash to freshen up at the end of the ride.  Girls don't like to kiss a dusty mouth.   :D
Mordechai Y. Scher

\'07 aprilia CapoNord
\'75 Trident T160
\'78 Honda CB 750Four

n4naked

well, sounds like it was a myth after all.....told you i wasn't technically-minded :D

Nimrod11

Anyone ever used it as a spermicide?
----------
Tiger 2004

Sin_Tiger

I've been using WD-40 since before I knew what sperm was  :lol: on bikes, cars, ships and just about anything else that moves. Never had a problem with it damaging O-Rings. Some distillates do affect some "rubber" components but not WD-40.

The O-rings in chains, like just about anything else with an O-ring in it,  are there to keep the inner lub in and the outer cr@p out. I use a pressure washer but just take care that it's kept at a distance from anywhere there is any kind of join, that includes toe nails  :roll:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Bixxer Bob

Thread hijack.....

Whilst serving with the USAF in the desert with nothing in the way of fixed facilities, I had a technician who was too dim to be trusted on his own with anything technical - a bit of an oxymoron - or maybe just a moron.  Anyway, the one job we thought he could do was the laundry.  Specifically, the greasy overalls from the heavy line.  We'd found that if you put them in a large plastic barrel with some detergent, a little water, then agitated it with the high power steam cleaner they came up pretty good.  We left him to it, had a cuppa and then went back to see how he was getting on.  We arrived just in time to save him from serious injury. After steaming the overalls, he must've got confused in his head between steam cleaner and power washer because he turned the lance on his dusty boots.  Unfortunately, at that time,  our desert boots were leather with canvas panels.  We took a knife to his laces as he screamed due to his feet being poached.  Luckily he only had slight scalds and quickly recovered.  The moral is (and I stole this from Ax Men on the History Channel) you can't.....fix.....stupid   :ImaPoser

Hijack over  :oops:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...