News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Buell Gone

Started by abruzzi, October 16, 2009, 05:01:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NeilD

Quote from: "Advwannabe"I always felt that some of their 'innovations' were gimicks, but they were one of the few companies willing to try somethnig different.

I'll miss them

same for me.. never sure that I wanted one, but at least they were interesting to look at..

TigerTrax

Ahhh...
Here's an opportunity for Bloor to get some real engineering
in his factory! Hire Erik Buell to run the business....

We'd have some wicked machines in 3 years....
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

Stretch

Excessive vibration, weak charging systems, and poor dealer support?

I'll pass.

JetdocX

Quote from: "Stretch"Excessive vibration, weak charging systems, and poor dealer support?

I'll pass.

Two out of three things a lot of Triumphs already have in spades. :lol:
From parts unknown.

Stretch

I was prepared to pull the trigger on a Ulysses, except for the fucking vibrations.  I laugh at the people who try to argue that it's not a Sportster engine.

Yukon

My brother has a 2004 Lightning and he just bought a 2009 1125CR.  We swapped bikes for a few miles last weekend and he was amazed at how smooth the tiger was.....but not enough to give up his Buells.

Stretch

The 1125 is a different animal entirely.  It's a shame Buell was folded before that bike's true potential could be realized.

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: "JetdocX"
Quote from: "Stretch"Excessive vibration, weak charging systems, and poor dealer support?

I'll pass.

Two out of three things a lot of Triumphs already have in spades. :lol:

You beat me to it, I was just going to ask what bike we were talking about again  :wink:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Colonel Nikolai

I've ridden the 1125r and the 2003-8 Lightnings and Firebolts. Yes, the latter two vibrate too much and have too narrow a power band, but other than that they will out-corner most other bikes including, dare I say it, most Triumphs, perhaps even the 675 Daytona, but I haven't ridden that one so I really can't say.

The 1125r was spectacular: incredible chassis rigidity, handles like a time-warped python and looks like what was originally meant by the portmanteau "batcycle". And doesn't vibrate except where it counts (in your soul).

Yes that machine had enormous potential but I just couldn't afford one.
Mostly commuting around town on the Steamer these days.

abruzzi

On the vibration issue:  I currently own an (awesome) KTM 640 Adventure.  That thing will vibrate yesterday's dinner out of your bowels if you're not careful.  Buell's don't come close, though they are certainly more vibey that the triples.

My brother has a Lightning, and they are kind of freaky to ride--the wheelbase is so short, there seems to be nothing in front of you, you can barely even see the wheel.  It is extremely fun to ride though.

Geof

zombie

phoning around the cheapest Uly i could find was $9995 OTD
now if it was  7 grand then maybe I'd buy one

Yukon

Quote from: "abruzzi"My brother has a Lightning, and they are kind of freaky to ride--the wheelbase is so short, there seems to be nothing in front of you, you can barely even see the wheel.  It is extremely fun to ride though.

I rode the 1125CR and experienced the same feeling.  I felt like my noggin was out in front of the headlight!

John Stenhouse

Harley seem to be in deep trouble, 84% drop in income, MV up for sale again. Does seem dumb though, I thought the best way to survive a recession was to diversify?
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: "John Stenhouse"I thought the best way to survive a recession was to diversify?

Ah, that'll be why they are releasing a new GLHJF Iron Knight Steam Chicken Electra model then  :lol:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

jakes10mm

Quote from: "Colonel Nikolai"The big problem with selling Buell is that they have no dealers that are not HD. And the people buying HDs are not going to buy a Buell. Seems obvious in retrospect, but Buell should have sold at the Ducati dealers. If they did they might not be where they are now.

Strongly Agree!  Beer-bellies and Black Leather are not exactly the physique and attire for riding a Buell.  They should have put Buells square up against their imported competition....perhaps the multi-brand superstores.  I've tested ridden a couple Buells and always wanted to try out the 1125s and a Ulysses.  Guess I'll need to move fast if I'm going to make that a reality.
06 Tiger 955i