News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Buell Gone

Started by abruzzi, October 16, 2009, 05:01:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

abruzzi

HD profits have dropped 84% frm last year.  They are killing Buell and selling MV Agusta.  Sucks--I really liked Buells.  The other thing that sucks is a lot of HD dealers are dumping their Buell bikes for up to $7k off new bikes, and I'm broke (or else I would totally jump on an 1125 for $6k!)

Geof

Stretch

It does suck.  I've been reading about it on various sources today.

There seems to be some speculation as to why HD shut it down, instead of selling it off.  Perhaps they intend to revive Buell when the economic climate improves.

Too bad though.  I do like the Ulysses.

JetdocX

I saw this this morning.  We should start a couple of pools.  

How long will Erik stay with HD?  I bet less than two weeks.

When will he launch his new brand?  Three weeks tops.

Just my .02.   :lol:
From parts unknown.

Sin_Tiger

Eric Buell seems to be a very dynamic and determined guy. With his links to other engine makers now, I guess it won't be too long like you say.

Wonder if he can still use the name since it's his?

Might have been better if they had done it the other way around, running for cover  :oops:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

oxnsox

Buell - Indian

Buell - Victory

He will probably have some large restraint clause (and the $$$ to go with it), about climbing into bed with anyone else in the industry... but I guess he could argue he ain't work for them if he's just using an engine. In which case, and with his name and knowledge, he'd be more likely to end up in Custom row.....
¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
  If it ain't Farkled...  don't fix it....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

EvilBetty

Oh crap.  We own one, and I almost bought a Uly instead of a tiger last year.  At least we only spend $2k on the Blast, so there's not too far the price can drop :D
There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

TallRob

well my tiger will always have a bit O buell in it. Since I installed Buell Ulysses foot pegs on my bike. Lower,longer,wider.

cascadetiger

I have a 98 Buell S3T.  It is a little crude but its a fantastic bike.  It is so easy to take into corners fast.  Very confident to lay it way over in turns.  The motor makes lots of power down low, I just love it.  Wheelies in 1st and 2nd.  It has 57,000 miles and has been more reliable than my 98 Tiger.

I am just numb that HD pulled the plug on Buell.  Buell makes some great bikes.  I would never consider buying anything Harley makes, but I was strongly condsidering selling both the Tiger and Buell for a new Uly.  Guess I will keep riding both.  I don't like the new Tiger model, I will keep my Steamer going as long as I can and ride the Buell for the twisties.

RT

Shame to see an American bike maker go down the tubes, along with the folks that work for them.     Never fully understood why HD bought Augusta
Whatever it is, it\'s better in the wind.  ~Author Unknown

Colonel Nikolai

I think it's nasty that Buell is going down and HD is continuing. Have you guys ridden an HD? They are loud, vibrate like jackhammers, have crappy handling geometry and their engines are very little evolved from what they were 75 years ago: they aren't even DOHC engines, they are still pushrod. HD is the ultimate poseur machine. I am sick to my stomach.

I've ridden a 2003 Buell Lightning and many other Buells since then, including the new AMA Supersport champion bike, the 1125r. All of them are awesome, some more than others. Looking at a Buell is like looking at a motorcycle for the first time all over again. It's totally unique and non-conventional.

Erik Buell has said that the only reason he went with Harley motors is that it was the only company that would sell him a motor in a crate. This sealed their fate as being captive of HD. The big problem with selling Buell is that they have no dealers that are not HD. And the people buying HDs are not going to buy a Buell. Seems obvious in retrospect, but Buell should have sold at the Ducati dealers. If they did they might not be where they are now.
Mostly commuting around town on the Steamer these days.

atokad

Quote from: "TallRob"Sad video by erik buell http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5i7JDNA ... dded#at=87

That really is tragic.

But so is my being laid off in January and not having found another job yet this year.  :cry:

Nick Calne

That's very sad news indeed, in many ways Buell were easily the most interesting American automotive manufacturer of any sort.  I really admired Buell, but I feel that in all honesty using Harley engines the game was always gonna be up sooner or later.  Innovative, modern bikes with new ideas and er.... a heavy, ancient, under-powered tractor engine that the whole non-Harley motorcycle world just laughs at.  Outperformed by every other sport bike, tied to the image of Harley, which is not universally liked....  

Erik Buell must have know all this when he signed up with Harley.

Imagine Buell sportsbikes with proper engines.... fast, agile, innovative AND light and powerful....if only they had teamed up with Triumph.....a 1050 would have been  :shock:
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

Buffalo

I agree with nickcalne, I rode a Uly a year or so ago at a Buell demo ride and just loved the chassis and layout. The only thing I didn't like about the bike was the paint-shaker sportster motor. I couldn't help but think that if one would graft my Tiger 955 motor in the Uly chassis then you would have something!
When I heard that Harley was buying Augusta, I was hoping to see some new engine options for the Buells. Sadly, it is not to be. Still keeping my eyes open for an older used Uly with a blown motor, hope to find one cheap for a project.
\'05 Tiger 955i
74 Suzuki GT550

Advwannabe

I always felt that some of their 'innovations' were gimicks, but they were one of the few companies willing to try somethnig different.

I'll miss them
No good deed goes unpunished
02 Tigger
02 Blackbird
75 GT380
IBA #33180