News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

So... Have You Ever....

Started by Tom Herold, December 21, 2009, 01:09:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Herold

Had a valve shim pop out and decide it wanted to see what the inside of the engine looks like?

I'm checking and correcting my shim clearances. One the last one, on the #3 cylinder, the valve closest to the timing chain, the shim popped out and took a little trip down the timing chain opening.... I looked as best I could, but didn't see it hung up on anything where I can get to it easily.

My first thought is to pull the engine cover on the right side and fish around with a magnet.... I ordered a new gasket from the dealer yesterday.

So.. for those of you out there who've experienced this wonderful event, any suggestions?
1999 Triumph Trophy 1200
2002 Triumph Sprint ST
2005 Triumph Tiger

"When people believe you to be the fool, why open your mouth and remove all doubt....??"
Gen. George S. Patton

Mustang

Been there done that

go to auto zone and buy one of those magnets that are mounted on an antenna , (if you don;t have one already)

stick it down the timing chain hole and fish around it should be stuck on the magnet when you pull it out .

Tom Herold

Thanks Mustang, I had to shop around to find a magnet tip small enough to fit between the cam chain and engine casings, luckily I found one.

I had to remove the top cam chain rubber to be able to gain full access to the area, but was able to locate the wayward shim and maneuver it to a location to where I could grab and hoist it out. It took about half and hour, but it was a successful operation!

Back in business, I finished up the valve shims and will button everything back up tomorrow evening.

Hopefully I'll be able to ride it to work on Wednesday since it's supposed to be sunny and 60 degrees (F)! Sorry all you North Eastern folks, no snow in Charleston, South Carolina!!!!!
1999 Triumph Trophy 1200
2002 Triumph Sprint ST
2005 Triumph Tiger

"When people believe you to be the fool, why open your mouth and remove all doubt....??"
Gen. George S. Patton