News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Wiring accessories and other dumb electrical questions!

Started by flux, November 10, 2009, 12:02:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flux

Let me preface by saying I have had electrical crap explained to me a million times and what can I say?  I do not understand it as much as most people seem to.

So, here's where I am.

I want to be able to run a handful of things, but not at the same time.  On that list are
- My hardwired GPS (all the time)
- Heated vest (once in awhile)
- Heated grips (once in awhile)
- Aux lights (hardly ever use these)

I have always just stuck all this stuff on my battery terminals (with fuses in-line to each accessory) but with 4 things it's getting kinda clogged up.  

What's the solution to that?  (I saw Stretch's maniacal creation but that is NOT something I'm gonna mess with!)  :lol:

Also, I have been putting off adding a voltmeter but it is time.  I DO know that I need at least 13.1 volts to ensure my battery is being charged.  I see everyone recommends the Datel unit but DAMN $50 + shipping seems a little pricey.  Anyone have something different or do I just need to suck it up?  Also, do I just connect the voltmeter to the battery like everything else?  

Thanks guys for bearing with me on this!   8)

flux

Ok, actually $50 seems like a decent price now that I search around the net a little more.  Apparently there's an LCD one instead of the LED that is about $20 less but I can't find it.

TigerTrax

Here ya go:

Go to www.canyonchasers.net/shop/generic/relay.php

This will give you a complete pictoral and detailed instruction for installing a relay protected power block.

Hopefully Stretch will pipe in and guide you to his pics. They are good . .
I don't know where they are!

In a nutshell:
1. Get an automotive, 30 amp relay with 4 prongs. These prongs are numbered: 30 - 85 -86 - 87

2. Get a 4-6 slot LOW PROFILE fuse block that uses BLADE fuses
    ( not minis )

3. You'll need a few feet of RED & Black wires. (I may have used 16 ga )
( I also used BLU wire to tap into my tailight wiring).

4. In-line 20 amp fuse

5. Wire end connectors.

6. Splices.

7. If you are comfortable with soldering .. solder all the wire ends.
    ( I use an inexpensive 'pencil torch' $20 ) Very Neat.

Just plan on 4 hours of thinking, figgerin' things out, cutting, crimping, soldering, bitching, listening to the radio. This is not difficult . . just keep things in order.

Be sure to use the right fuse sizes.
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

Bixxer Bob

For the voltmeter, I'm using one of these :

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2-in-1-Digital-Ca ... %26ps%3D63

It's not stated as waterproof, but mine's behind my screen cowl on top of the instrument binnacle and has been holding up for 9 months now with no probs. Comes in a lot cheaper than the others and gives you the ambient temp as well.  Just need to hack off the cigar plug and wire in appropriately.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

BigMark

At last somewhere to post my inability to understand anything electrical..

I too need a voltage meter display thingy and other add ons..

*watches post with interest*

Edit: Why when i looked at that ebay listing the first time did i think it wasn't back lit :oops:

BigMark

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"Just need to hack off the cigar plug and wire in appropriately.

When you say wire in appropriately  :roll: Any Pics?

flux

Thanks TigerTrax for that link.  That doesn't look too difficult.  I may give it a go.  Honestly, I've never had a problem turning my accessories off when I dismount but it probably IS a good idea.

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: "BigMark"
Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"Just need to hack off the cigar plug and wire in appropriately.

When you say wire in appropriately  :roll: Any Pics?

You need to pick up as close to the battery as possible but can't connect direct to the battery, otherwise it'll be on all the time and would eventually run it down.  Since I've already done an accessories modification similar to the one being discussed here, I attached mine to the switched side of the relay. That way it's monitoring the voltage only as long as the ign is on. :wink:

I tried just monitoring the voltage at the lights as that's the easiest place to hook it up behind the cowl, but the voltage drop is too great.  It can be nearly a volt so the gauge would always under read by that amount.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

flux

Ok, actually, I think I have this thing figured out.  Will report back later!   8)

flux

Success!  Got it all sorted out and everything works great!  Check it out (hey, I'm proud of myself for figuring it out).  And yup I ended up zip tying all those wires going over the frame in place.  Great mod and I'm happy I stuck with it and learned something new.  Thanks gang!  

johnnyadventurepants

I don't really understand all of this elecrical stuff either.  My heated grips and aux lights are hard wired to the battery and I'm not really worried about forgetting to turn them off.  But I would like a volt meter so maybe I will set it up right over the winter.
\'99 Tiger 885i

flux

I hear ya, Johnny.  I wasn't too worried about forgetting to shut off my accessories either but the more I started thinking about the places I take this pig the more it started weighing on my mind.

I have yet to find an EXACT list of what is needed, and what the proper names for things are, so I will put one together tonight.  2 auto parts stores didn't know WTF I was on about, and recommended Radio Shack, where the (bored) guy working there was very helpful and walked me through it.  He'll be getting my business in the future for sure.

RT

Whatever it is, it\'s better in the wind.  ~Author Unknown

EvilBetty

Quote from: "RT"This is what I used.

http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Produ ... rcuit.html

That's pretty cool.  Nice and tidy.
There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

Sin_Tiger

You have every right to be proud of yourself for that as a first shot at these things. If it didn't come with it, I recomend fitting a plastic sheild over the top of those terminal strips. If you didn't get one, cut up a dish wash bottle to do the job.

I always recommend running some solder the joints after you crimp them, keeps corrosion at bay and will give you a joint that will not drop volts over the years, not so flexible though so leave a few mm extra slack.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint