News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Stranded with water in the gas

Started by mantramoto, November 18, 2009, 09:44:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mantramoto

I am stranded here with what seems to be water in the gas!! My first ride after signing the pink slip. Original owner is very cool and he is driving way out of his way with new gas but my question as I sit here and wait is what have I possibly done to my new bike by jamming so much water through the bike? I did  not recognize the problem immediately and tried to restatet it repeatedly and it actually ran now and then thinking it just needed reserve gas. What should I do after I geter going again? Sea Foam? Do the Carbs need any attention or anything else?? Thanks!  :shock:

Nick Calne

Oh dear, you haven't got off to a flying start have you?  Hope things pick up.
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

harre

Could not start my Steamer (Keihin carbs, 1998) after some days of raining. Drained my carbs to a GLASS jar. The fuel in the jar separated in two phases, one water and one gasoline. Concluded that water must have entered through the filler cap (bad gaskets) and sunk down to the bottom of the tank. The result was that floater bowls were filled with water, and engine would not start. The draining cured the problem. Bike is running fine now. I don't think the small amount of water could do much damage to the engine.

mantramoto

Previous owner, awesome guy!, drove way out of his way for roadside assistance. We drained the gas, filled the gas, took quite a bit of reving but now seems to run fine. Bad gaskets ya think? Was washed yesterday.

Mustang

ya pressure washed it didn't ya ?
The high pressure from the car wash wands will get under the tank cap and you probably need to run a coat hanger up the drain hole from the bottom where the little steel nipple screws into the tank , I bet it's plugged so water can't drain out from under the gas cap .

also the pressure wash wands at the car wash can and will lift the paint right off the plastic tank and fairings  :shock:

mantramoto

Tiger is in prime form now and I am loving this thing!

JetdocX

Ride it 'till it stops.  Then begins the next lesson. :lol:
From parts unknown.

mantramoto

Thanks JetDoc, I am finding that out but enjoying the 200 miles of maintenance free riding I have had so far. :lol: