News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

OK to remove battery for extend winter storage?

Started by tett, November 22, 2009, 03:07:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tett

Just wondering if there is any problem removing the battery for long periods.  I have done this with all my bikes when I store them from November until April.

Now that I have a Girly with a cpu brain I want to make sure that it remembers it's settings etc. if it is disconnected for many months.  I have disconnected the battery with no problems but that could be because of a small cap keeping the cpu juiced up.

Will my cpu memory stay intact?  Perhaps it's that eprom type which does not need power but I am no computer geek and have no idea.

Cheers and Thanks,

tett
98 Valkyrie
71 Commando
06 Tiger

EvilBetty

The only thing that will need to be reset is your clock :)
There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

tett

Thanks!

Any day now the new baby will need to be put away until next spring.

:cry:

Quote from: "EvilBetty"The only thing that will need to be reset is your clock :)
98 Valkyrie
71 Commando
06 Tiger

EvilBetty

Do you get the odd warm days now and then up there or is it pretty much a perpetual deep freeze?

As much as I dislike the weather here in the central USA, we do get days that I can get the bike out all through the year.

tett

Ahh not really.  December and January typically sees days of -10C and often much colder.  -20C can happen often.  Where we are between Georgian Bay and Lake Huron we see a ton of snow.  A few years ago we had 4 feet in one weekend.  lASt year the snow came mid November and stayed until late April.

A perpetual freeze up here I am afraid.  AT least most winters it is.

tett

Quote from: "EvilBetty"Do you get the odd warm days now and then up there or is it pretty much a perpetual deep freeze?

As much as I dislike the weather here in the central USA, we do get days that I can get the bike out all through the year.
98 Valkyrie
71 Commando
06 Tiger

EvilBetty

Looks like an excuse to by a snowmobile :)

flux

As someone living in the southeast USA, why would you need to remove the battery?  Why not just hook it up to a tender?

goosen2002

tett said "A perpetual freeze up here I am afraid.  AT least most winters it is."

Just so you know, it is not that cold every where in the  great white north. I haven't even see snow yet. :)

As for the battery ... I used to take it out and store it under the workbench with a tender on it, last year I got lazy and left it in the bike and hooked it up to the tender. It worked just fine.
Black 2002

Medic09

Quote from: "goosen2002"Just so you know, it is not that cold every where in the  great white north. I haven't even see snow yet. :)

You're behind!  Even down here we've had two light snows already.  When I had the dogs up in the mountains above town, the snow was already up my calves.
Mordechai Y. Scher

\'07 aprilia CapoNord
\'75 Trident T160
\'78 Honda CB 750Four

tett

Yup.  This past November has been glorious!  Road to Collingwood from Owen Sound and return on the weekend.  Amazing for this time of year.  Now, of we can ride at Christmas time that would be soemthing.

tett

Quote from: "goosen2002"tett said "A perpetual freeze up here I am afraid.  AT least most winters it is."

Just so you know, it is not that cold every where in the  great white north. I haven't even see snow yet. :)

As for the battery ... I used to take it out and store it under the workbench with a tender on it, last year I got lazy and left it in the bike and hooked it up to the tender. It worked just fine.
98 Valkyrie
71 Commando
06 Tiger

BEEZZER

I am about 150 km south of Tett. On sunday I played 9holes of golf   (39 ... with a 3 putt double on a par 3 ...thanks for asking ) and then went out for a nice 1 hour cruise on the Tiger.

Snow forecast for this weekend.

TigerTrax

BAck to your original question....

'will computer lose settings if battery is disconnected for long period of time'.  

Good question.  

I doubt it.  I don't know. But I plan to find out.

But what I think I would do. . . . put a trickle charger on it and leave it on.
A good Battery Tender won't be a problem.  And you'll be able to fire it up now and then.
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

Bixxer Bob

Regarding the ECM losing it's settings;  I have one that came out of a Daytona, no power on it for weeks / months, plugged it in and the Tiger started first prod.  Didn't run too well because it's a Daytona map not Tiger one, but I'm guessing it's ok with the power off.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

jsingraham

since I have had my 06 for the past 2 winters, I usually put the bike out in my storage shed and pull the battery out and put it in the heated garage along with my battery from my Honda Fatcat as well.  I leave them near my workbench with the trickle charger and about once a month or so, I put them each on a 48-72 hr trickle charge.  I don't leave them on the whole time as it is a waste.  I could hook up a trickle charger to them in the shed, but then it is a pain to get around to anything with cords and chargers to manuver around.  

As for any problems, I have never had to do anything each spring except reset the clock.

So in the end, I don't think it matters what you do, but I would highly suggest some method of charging be done to it over the winter months, but I don't think you will need worry about the ECU losing any information.

Jason
06 Triumph Tiger - Caspian Blue
07 Yamaha FJR - Black Cherry
86 Honda TR200 FatCat
85 Yamaha BW200 Bigwheel
02 jr 50(really for the kids!)