News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Common Tripples

Started by coachgeo, December 14, 2009, 07:53:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coachgeo

What was the most common Triples bike made; both Roadie and Dualsport , that parts (after market / vintage ) would still be available?

thanks in advance

This is NOT about a snub on Tigers or any such thing.  I'm just curious.
COACH POSER (Till Tribota Tiger's done & I'm riding it)

Colonel Nikolai

The inline triple is just too uncommon. Don't know why because it strikes me as a nice compromise between the inline four and the vee twin.

There is the classic 1974 Suzuki GT750 "Kettle". This bike had explosive power and was one of the best sounding bikes ever made (in my opinion). Hunter S. Thompson talks about this bike in his now famous essay "Song of the Sausage Creature".
Mostly commuting around town on the Steamer these days.

Nick Calne

Some kawasakis have used a triple in the past and some Benellis have a triple engine now.  I think that triumph have probably made more triples than anyone else.  So I guess the question's which is the most popular triumph triple....

the interweb says....

At the Motorcycle Show in Milan, Triumph Motorcycles announced a distinctive new high-specification special Edition Speed Triple to celebrate 15 years of Triumph's most successful model

The Speed Triple is the most popular Triumph bike of the Hinckley era, selling over 35,000 units since being introduced in 1994. Such is the significance of the Speed Triple to Triumph, company owner John Bloor has authorised use of his signature on the fuel tank for the very first time on the 15th Anniversary Special Edition.

Kawasaki triple is apparently in this picture.... can't focus on it for some reason.

Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

NeilD

the Kawasaki 2 stroke Triples were very quick but the frame and cycle parts didnt quite match up to it.. there were probably quite a few Yamaha XS750 varients built, Suzuki did the GT380/550/750 range, in recent times there was the BWM 'K' series, and currently the Benelli Tornado...even Moto Guzzi made a protype 'W' 3!
one of my faves though is the Laverda - Jota/RGS/etc etc.. 8) closely followed by MV's
 probably one of the best supported 'vintage' triples is the BSA/Triumph Rocket/Trident mainly through their continued use in classic racing..

as for Hinckleys ... I guess you could lump together the early Trident/Sprint together and count them as the largest group?

edit: just seen Nicks note about Speed Triples..  :wink: although the name might be the same across the range, the early ones are very different from current models...

coachgeo

I should clarify better.  My bad.  

Triples that might be available in US market.

NeilD

I'd have said all of the above mentioned were available in the USA when new? lots of 70's/80's jap 'classics' were shipped over here from the USA in recent years, but I guess theres still a fair few over there..  :)

coachgeo

Thanx NeilD for the clarification

Medic09

NeilD, that's a lovely photo of Trident racers.  Where's it from?  I nearly drooled...
Mordechai Y. Scher

\'07 aprilia CapoNord
\'75 Trident T160
\'78 Honda CB 750Four

NeilD

glad you like it..  :D took it at the 'Beezumph' rally at Cadwell Park - its organised by the Tident/Rocket3 owners club...
more here..
http://www.flickr.com/photos/22730494@N ... 921632871/

cosmo

As I understand you, the query has to do with who made triples, how many they made, and how likely are parts to be found, in the USA.

Is that it??

Anyway, many folk made triples, Triumph just did it louder and longer.
Four strokers:
Yamaha's first multi (IIRC) was the XS line of triples, 750 and 850cc, '76 to '81. Parts are available, but more the swap meet variety.
Laverda made some hairy-chested triples through the years, though all were expensive, and production was not exactly 'mass'. But a 1200 Jota WILL make an impression. Finding parts will be a bit of a challenge, too. It wasn't easy when they were still importing.
BMW, lest we forget, made the 'Brick' in threes, too. All 750s, and said to be better all-round than the 4brick. Parts availability should be excellent, if pricey.
Benelli made a few, but I doubt you'd ever see one in Texas, or even Boston...

2 Strokers:
Kwackers, of course, and the Kettles, by Suzuki. Your choice, air or water cooled. Parts are scarce, collectibility said to be on the upswing, and neither handle as well as the proverbial three-barred gate.
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

coachgeo

Interesting stuff.  Wish I knew more about bikes like you folk.  

Which of the Triples has a nostalgic look  that might garners a " uhhhh I want one" ???  

Hopefull that one also has parts available thru after markets to build them such as frames, tanks forks etc etc etc.

For example The Trident racer pic above .... That would be an interesting bike to build and sell a few of?

redbirds

My favorite triple. I wanted one of these bad when they first became available but they cost more than the R75 I had at the time.

This example is at the Barber Museum in Alabama.

Riding into History Show at St. Augustine, Florida.
Living vicariously through myself.

redbirds

Don't forget this oldie but goodie.

The "water buffalo" Suzuki.
Living vicariously through myself.

coachgeo

Quote from: "redbirds"My favorite triple.....

Thanx... looks nice.  And this triples name is Triumph.... what????? and what years was this model manufactured?

Thanx in advance ya'll

ArcticTiger

Triumph X75 Hurricane, designed by Craig Vetter. A "few" was made,  for the US market only.
We only got to read  about it in the mc-magazines back then-wasnt it around 1973, getting big eyes :shock:
-09 Triumph Tiger 1050 blazing orange
-98 Triumph Tiger 900 british racing green
-06 Ducati Multistrada 1000 S DS red
-99 Moto Guzzi EV 11 Cali. (Wi, USA)
-00 Yamaha TT600R
You are allowed to have only one wife, but you can ride as many bikes as you want...