News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

I want to ride in the winter won't fire up!!

Started by ramseybella, December 20, 2009, 06:07:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ramseybella

Man I just installed my shock and want to go for a spin but after sitting in my friends cold garage for little over a month it took an hour or so to get it to fire up, I toped the tank with fresh gas it ran like a raped ape and purred like a cat going home 53 miles in 29 or less degree weather!!
Now after it sat over night in 20 degree weather it is not firing up sounds like it is getting close like the first time at my friends house but it starts sucking the battery and I don't want to blow the Sprag!!

Anybody know what I should do, it seems to be way to cold for this cat? :roll:

JetdocX

Check your valve clearances.  If your vavles are too tight they will be held open when the engine gets too cold and the cylinders will not make compression.
From parts unknown.

ramseybella

Quote from: "JetdocX"Check your valve clearances.  If your vavles are too tight they will be held open when the engine gets too cold and the cylinders will not make compression.

It sits on my front porch I don't have a garage, If I put it in a heated garage will this most likely help? My wife wanted me to bring it in the house what a trooper I had to say no as much as this sounded like a great idea! My next project was to remove the three spinning side cover screws to get to the motor the air filter and carbs and Yada, Yada ,Yada!!
You know what I mean?
Getting a Vstrom is sounding better every day but I love this bike when it is running and it runs so good when it does.
Thanks for your help Jetdocx

Mustang

It's the jetting in the carbs more than likely .
If you want it to start easier you are gonna have to rejet for cold weather and then rejet again come summer weather .

It is way too lean from the factory or even summer jetting to start easily in the cold , anything below 40 degrees f is too cold for the ways it is jetted

if it's a 98 with keihins you will need at least a 120 main and 45 pilots in the carbs for cold and if mikunis you will need 140's for mains and 45 pilots .

as jetdocx says the valves can cause a problem when left in extreme cold . when and what were the clearances , and if you don't know well then it's time to check em .

my Honda 450 is bumped up from 132 main to 180 for summer riding, and mods  and when the temps get down below 40 degrees f it is a pain to start , needs at least to go up 2 more sizes for winter riding .
or get the trooper to build you a heated garage
  :ImaPoser  :D

ramseybella

Quote from: "Mustang"It's the jetting in the carbs more than likely .
If you want it to start easier you are gonna have to rejet for cold weather and then rejet again come summer weather .

It is way too lean from the factory or even summer jetting to start easily in the cold , anything below 40 degrees f is too cold for the ways it is jetted

if it's a 98 with keihins you will need at least a 120 main and 45 pilots in the carbs for cold and if mikunis you will need 140's for mains and 45 pilots .

as jetdocx says the valves can cause a problem when left in extreme cold . when and what were the clearances , and if you don't know well then it's time to check em .

my Honda 450 is bumped up from 132 main to 180 for summer riding, and mods  and when the temps get down below 40 degrees f it is a pain to start , needs at least to go up 2 more sizes for winter riding .
or get the trooper to build you a heated garage
  :ImaPoser  :D

Thank you Much Mustang, looks like I need to start pulling some spinning screws next weekend? :?

JetdocX

I'd love to tear my bike down in the warmth and comfort of my living room.  Too bad it's on the upper level. :twisted:

Good luck.
From parts unknown.

nightrunner

Quote from: "JetdocX"I'd love to tear my bike down in the warmth and comfort of my living room.  Too bad it's on the upper level. :twisted:

Good luck.

Well technically the Tiger is a big dual sport.  Ride it right up the stairs  :lol:
Scott

Seeking adventure and peril

Mustang

Quote from: "nightrunner"
Quote from: "JetdocX"I'd love to tear my bike down in the warmth and comfort of my living room.  Too bad it's on the upper level. :twisted:

Good luck.

Well technically the Tiger is a big dual sport.  Ride it right up the stairs  :lol:
Don't forget the YOUTUBE video if you do JD :qgreenjumpers
film at eleven  :ImaPoser

ramseybella

I solved the problem getting my beast to start in the cold, First bought a sealed high output batterie Placed a Ceramic heater in font of the motor for about two hours with the cover on and within two to three cranks bam!!
She fires up but I do let it idle slow to let it climb to temp and get the oil flowing took about 20 to 25 mins, don't want too break anything, all it needed was a place to get cozy.
These cat's are cold blooded.  :roll:

Took it for a 150 mile spin to Ghost Ranch in Abiquiu new mexico, I went north big mistake, even a transient guy standing on the side of the road gave me this look as he spun his index finger around the side of his head at me stating I was nuts riding in the cold, it was around 45 degrees out at 2:30 PM.
It was super to get out and ride after two weeks but yes I was a bit crazy as by the time I got home I needed a Cozy place to thaw out. Burrrr!!

Mustang

Quote from: "ramseybella"even a transient guy standing on the side of the road gave me this look as he spun his index finger around the side of his head at me stating I was nuts riding in the cold, it was around 45 degrees out at 2:30 PM.
It was super to get out and ride after two weeks but yes I was a bit crazy as by the time I got home I needed a Cozy place to thaw out. Burrrr!!

that aint cold this is cold

Bixxer Bob

I wouldn't be attempting that without the sidecar or spiked tyres - and I have no experience of either!! :shock:

Looks like you need the driven third wheel transmission from a Ural  :ImaPoser
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

EvilBetty

LOL if it would warm up to 45 degrees I'd still be riding!

We've had snow on the ground for 2 weeks and I don't think it's going anywhere anytime soon with temps down below 10.
There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

ramseybella

OK Gent's Just pointing out the fact I could take a spin, no 45 is not cold but I got it started and went for a run is my point of this thread..

Thank's for the input. :wink:

Mustang

Quote from: "ramseybella"OK Gent's Just pointing out the fact I could take a spin, no 45 is not cold but I got it started and went for a run is my point of this thread..

Thank's for the input. :wink:

we're just goofin with ya  :D  :lol:

The cold est I have ever been while riding was 2 years ago on an early April day
Left out of park city utah with 27 degree f temps and snow (tigger just berely started that morning )with about 400 miles to get to my brothers in cheyenne   ,WY
froze my ass off

tiggers don't like to sit in the cold ,mine live in a heated garage they are spoiled like me   :ImaPoser

Bixxer Bob

My three are shivering in the garage at 23F taking turns on the Optimate to keep their batteries safe.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...