News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

I want to ride in the winter won't fire up!!

Started by ramseybella, December 20, 2009, 06:07:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EvilBetty

Quote from: "ramseybella"OK Gent's Just pointing out the fact I could take a spin, no 45 is not cold but I got it started and went for a run is my point of this thread..

Thank's for the input. :wink:

We're also just extremely jealous  :D
There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

ramseybella

Quote from: "Mustang"
Quote from: "ramseybella"OK Gent's Just pointing out the fact I could take a spin, no 45 is not cold but I got it started and went for a run is my point of this thread..

Thank's for the input. :wink:

we're just goofin with ya  :D  :lol:

The cold est I have ever been while riding was 2 years ago on an early April day
Left out of park city utah with 27 degree f temps and snow (tigger just berely started that morning )with about 400 miles to get to my brothers in cheyenne   ,WY
froze my ass off

tiggers don't like to sit in the cold ,mine live in a heated garage they are spoiled like me   :ImaPoser

I know you guys are Goofin, but I think it is time to park the monster till it warms up or I will be getting freezer burnt.
Took it out Sunday 100 mile run south this time it was colder than in the mountains riding in the planes was too much, I took a 30 min break and she wanted to do it's thing again but it started. So I got home and parked it pulled the battery, my next question is can I use a 1.5 amp charger/tender on a 1.2 amp 12v sealed battery?

Thanks guys for all your input.. :D

Mustang

my experience with battery tenders ..........left for long periods of time they tend to cook off the electrolyte and the level ends up below the lead plates and then you have a good battery that turned to junk .
THIS IS ON REGULAR OLD FASHIONED BATTERYS that you have to add the acid to when they are new .

but your tender should work fine on the sealed battery , what I would do if you are storing it inside where it is warm and toasty , which BTW is the best thing you can do for it .
Put it on the tender for a week and when it shows full charge UNHOOK it from the tender for a week or two , then put it back on the tender until it shows full charge .
repeat as often as necessary .

Long term storage with tenders like the 29.95 auto zone versions or battery tender jrs. will ruin a batt when left connected for long term storage .

Optimates are about the only thing that gives good long term storage , that's why they cost much more to buy .

I take the cheap and easy way myself .........for 35 bucks I throw a new lead acid battery from Wal=mart in it every spring time . No storage concerns and I know I have a new battery every spring .

ramseybella

Quote from: "Mustang"my experience with battery tenders ..........left for long periods of time they tend to cook off the electrolyte and the level ends up below the lead plates and then you have a good battery that turned to junk .
THIS IS ON REGULAR OLD FASHIONED BATTERYS that you have to add the acid to when they are new .

but your tender should work fine on the sealed battery , what I would do if you are storing it inside where it is warm and toasty , which BTW is the best thing you can do for it .
Put it on the tender for a week and when it shows full charge UNHOOK it from the tender for a week or two , then put it back on the tender until it shows full charge .
repeat as often as necessary .

Long term storage with tenders like the 29.95 auto zone versions or battery tender jrs. will ruin a batt when left connected for long term storage .

Optimates are about the only thing that gives good long term storage , that's why they cost much more to buy .

I take the cheap and easy way myself .........for 35 bucks I throw a new lead acid battery from Wal=mart in it every spring time . No storage concerns and I know I have a new battery every spring .

Do you live next door or something? :lol:
the 29.95 auto zone versions  battery tender is what I have!! I did the Interstate Acid version but it did not put out enough amps to crank my Steamer.
Thanks I will do the charged on off thing.

Mustang

Quote from: "ramseybella"Do you live next door or something? :lol:
the 29.95 auto zone versions  battery tender is what I have!! I did the Interstate Acid version but it did not put out enough amps to crank my Steamer.
:ImaPoser no but I did stay in a Holiday Inn once  :ImaPoser  :ImaPoser

oxnsox

Low cost chargers shouldn't be left on any battery long term... Even the week that Mustang suggests is too long, for a 1.2amp charger anything over 24hours is just cooking time.

Most battery chargers make a lot of assumptions about your battery.... including the ambient temperature its sitting at. If you were to look at manufacturers specs for any battery you find there are quoted voltages (and capacities) at different temps.

Although a decent battery charger will have 3 or 4 distinct charging steps or phases, unless it is also monitoring battery voltage and temp its not recommended to leave them connected for long periods. (unless you are in a climate where temps are consistantly moderate)

And to be honest I haven't actually seen a temp compensated charger for smaller capacity (bike style) batteries.... or not one that I'd say was afforable for most of us.
¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
  If it ain't Farkled...  don't fix it....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ramseybella

Quote from: "Mustang"
Quote from: "ramseybella"Do you live next door or something? :lol:
:ImaPoser no but I did stay in a Holiday Inn once  :ImaPoser  :ImaPoser

Drum Roll Please!! :lol: