News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Never work for family

Started by RT, January 05, 2010, 11:48:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RT

Well looks like I am joining the ranks of the unemployed.

Been working for in laws since 2003 in family business.  Well the economy has kicked it in the ass.   Except for some tip money in Aug and Sept  i haven't been paid since April after bankruptcy was filled in March.  He tried to refinance but banks wouldn't loan any money.  Been putting in the hours trying to keep things going but no luck.  Expecting it to be sold in within the next 30 days and don't expect any back-pay as FIL says he will just have enough to pay off creditors.  It's my own fault for not leaving earlier but wife didn't want me to walk out, now in a position of finding work when there isn't any.  Florida running about 12%+ unemployment right now.  Thank god she makes good money but were still having to dip into savings some when unexpected bills come up. Am doing some substitute teaching for a few bucks which helps and taking some classes to finish my teaching certificate but that's still a year away.

Just feeling rather pissed off right now.
Whatever it is, it\'s better in the wind.  ~Author Unknown

redbirds

Very sorry to hear of this RT. I hope that things will turn around for you soon.
Living vicariously through myself.

PeteH

Quote from: "RT"Just feeling rather pissed off right now.

I bet you are :( but you must have seen it coming-what, with no pay since April :shock: loyalty`s fine but it doesnt pay the bills.

Not the best of starts to 2010, but things can only(probably)get better...

All the best.........
Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour

RT

Quote from: "PeteH"
Quote from: "RT"Just feeling rather pissed off right now.

I bet you are :( but you must have seen it coming-what, with no pay since April :shock: loyalty`s fine but it doesnt pay the bills.

Not the best of starts to 2010, but things can only(probably)get better...

All the best.........

Yep that really bugs me that I was stupid enough to hang on hoping it would turn around.  Business was ok in 08, but fell apart in 09.  In the fishing lodge business its a pretty thin margin to begin with but with a couple of poor years it was too much to recover from.  If you can't sell space your screwed.
Whatever it is, it\'s better in the wind.  ~Author Unknown

macgart

Sorry to read of your troubles.  I live in a resort town in NW Colorado and feel your pain.  We've had less snow than some of the mid-west states!  As much as we hate them, if the tourists don't come, we're screwed.

I do construction, so we've been feeling it for a while now.  Just glad I'm in plumbing/heating.  There's always some work.  It just usually sucks.  Our company went from a full office staff and about 20 guys in the field to the boss and his wife in the office and 5 of us in the field.  We each have a specialty that the company depends on or we'd be gone as well.

I still feel fortunate though.
99 Tiger "Goldie"
The more I ride it, the more I love it!
http://www.johnnymacmotoadventures.com/

Advwannabe

Bugger RT,

Working for family is always a tricky business. At least the whole affair hasn't soured your relationship with your wife ( I hope)

All the best with the job hunting
No good deed goes unpunished
02 Tigger
02 Blackbird
75 GT380
IBA #33180

EvilBetty

Quote from: "macgart"I live in a resort town in NW Colorado and feel your pain.  We've had less snow than some of the mid-west states!

Yes... yes we have.  But after reading this thread I'll quit bitching about it... for now.   :D
There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

Nick Calne

I manage the recruiting we're I'm at and man have we had a lot of applicants recently.  You're right that there are a lot of people looking for a job, all around the world.

But, that said, things are looking up here and I would imagine it's the same in the states too.  So if I were you I would think...."this is the year of change and I'm going to capitalise on it."

Most the people that are made redundant aren't the loyal, hard working and trustworthy guys, like you evidently are.  Good people are always in short supply.

Good luck.
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

ourade

"Most the people that are made redundant aren't the loyal, hard working and trustworthy guys, "
The fact that you work in recruitment and can make a statement like that concerns me.
I was unemployed for 5 months last year and there were a lot of good hard working people made redundant from where i was working, all the idiots and slackers were laid off first but eventually the good guys were laid off as well. The same thing happened to a lot of employers in this area.
ADE

Bixxer Bob

I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Bixxer Bob

:oops:

Sorry,  back to your troubles RT.

I've been military all my life so never had to worry about being out of a job.  I'll be a civvi soon but have a good pension as a parachute.

It must be tough in your position, I hope something comes up soon.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Nick Calne

Whoa Ade buddy, didn't mean to give offence and I'm sorry to hear that happened to you.  But conversely you've proved my point - you've found something.  The good people will find something.  Ain't saying it's easy, ain't saying the good guys are immune, ain't saying it's going to happen right away.... So here's to your success in getting things back on track and to RT getting the break his loyalty and dedication clearly merit.

BTW I'm certainly not complacent in my role or in my regard for those applying for jobs.  I work in an industry that has contracted very significantly every month for the last 23.  Many of my friends are on reduced working, redundant, left the industry etc.  I'll be looking down the barrel later in the year myself if it doesn't work out right.  I got to get it right 100% every minute of the 12hr day of the 6 day week.

I see a stack of CV's every week.  When the first bite of the recession sank it's teeth in, they were all pretty poor CV's to be honest.  People let the worst performers go first.  12 months further into the recession our (very people based) business grew and we needed 6 new staff; things had changed.  I found much better staff than I had been able to recruit in the previous 5 years.  Obviously the good guys get made redundant too.  But they do find jobs.

Since New Year I've been trying to find another high quality person....I checked the CV pile from before Christmas and made some calls / emails.  The good guys already got jobs, the not so good ones are still looking......

PS So once again, all the best to RT.
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

ourade

swamper650

Damn, sorry to hear about your job situation. As has been said, great your relationship with your wife has not suffered. Hope you go on to bigger and better things. On my recent travels I investigated the local job markets. I found they are as bad or worse than ours...and they don't have our weather, though the recent colsd spell has been rough. Good Luck RT.  Meet you at Ma's for breakfast one morning?

You don\'t quit riding because you get old...you get old when you quit riding

macgart

:occasion14  :wav

Here's to things looking better for all of us in 2010!

May we all find happiness, prosperity, and new Tigers.   :party
99 Tiger "Goldie"
The more I ride it, the more I love it!
http://www.johnnymacmotoadventures.com/