News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Accessory Port for Charging?

Started by EvilBetty, December 20, 2009, 07:25:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EvilBetty

I bought a couple of Battery Tender Jr.'s last year.  I was doing the 24k maintenance at the time so I had the battery out of the bike connected to the charger with the spring clips.  I had a second on connected directly to the battery on Patty's Blast.

Last week I figured I'd better hook these things up since it looked like the deep freeze was moving in.  I had bought the Powerlet to SAE adapter for the Tiger, and the Blast still had the Batter Tender harness on it. I was readying for work, so when I plugged them both in and the red light just kept blinking (bad connection) I gave up for the time being.

The other day I got got tired of looking at the blinking lights and did some investigation.  The ground terminal is broken on the Buell tender harness.  But I'm not sure what's going on with the Tiger.  I need to get the multimeter on the accessory port where the tender is plugged in and make sure I'm getting juice I guess.

Anyone using the left side accessory port to plug in a Battery Tender?
There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

Medic09

I haven't since I bought the Tiger; but I did it on my old Sprint and it charged just fine.
Mordechai Y. Scher

\'07 aprilia CapoNord
\'75 Trident T160
\'78 Honda CB 750Four

iansoady

I use it and it's fine on my 04.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

AndyM

Quote from: "EvilBetty"Anyone using the left side accessory port to plug in a Battery Tender?

For almost 90k miles now with no problems.

EvilBetty

Strange.  I checked the port, dead.  I pulled the plug off the back, a little crusty.  Cleaned it up... dead.

Is there a fuse for the accessory port?

Bixxer Bob

Aye,  but it's common with the speedo and clock.  Solid purple wire, also provides power for the heated grips so if they're working the problem is probably a corroded connector or wire behind the accessory socket.  I know you've already cleaned that up, but the wire could be shot.  the wiring diagram doesn't show it going through any other plugs so it should be a simple fix.  When you checked it did you check across the accessory socket terminals or did you check them both seperately, ie getting 12v from the live socket connection to the battery earth and a continuity test from the socket earth to the battery earth?
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

EvilBetty

Figured as much with the fuse.

I haven't done and major diagnosis yet.  I just checked for voltage at the socket, then disconnected the plug from the back and checked for voltage there, then cleaned up the crusty Vaseline stuff and tried again.

I'm getting ready to go for a much needed ride.  When I get back I'm gong to see if I can get this sorted :)

Thanks for the things to try, Bob.

EvilBetty

Weird.  After it dried up it worked just fine.  Must have just been dirty :)

Chris Canning

I used to charge the Tiger through the aux socket,but the battery never seemed right,was tempted to think it was the battery as it was a few years old,but after a rush of blood to the head!!!,fitted a pigs tail to the battery,much better.

2004Tiger

I don't run accessories, so I have never used that socket. Maybe yours had a bad connection, or your plug didn't fit right the first time.

My maintenance charger came with a pigtail with rings so I have that sticking out near the socket.
2004 Tiger. Black is beautiful. If I don\'t ride a little every day I get a little crazy.

PeteH

Quote from: "2004Tiger"My maintenance charger came with a pigtail with rings so I have that sticking out near the socket.

Ditto, Santa brought me an Oximiser 600, fitted the adapter wiring to the battery and plugged her in :D
Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour