News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Engine dies when engaging 1st gear.

Started by LookoutMountainTiger, January 18, 2010, 10:41:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LookoutMountainTiger

It turned out to be a beautiful day here today and after all the rain and low double digits temps I wanted to go for a putt. The bike cranked ok but upon engaging 1st gear it died, this went on for about 6 attempts and then the bike would not crank. I let it sit for about an hour and it cranked but same problem again. It had been about 2 months since riding it and the only thing I have done is change the oil and filled the tank and added StaBIl.
Any thoughts or advice will be greatly appreciated. I won't be able to follow up until Wednesday so will follow up then with any comments. Thanks in advance. I have owned the bike about 8 months and 6000 miles with no issues.

John Stenhouse

My guess would be a stuck sidestand switch, get the WD40 out
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

LookoutMountainTiger

Hi and thanks for the reply, you were right, I sprayed some PB Blaster that I had handy and the problem is resolved. I should have remembered this from my previous Bonneville but adult onset dementia has me in its grip.

John Stenhouse

Yay, well done. Now go ride it!  8)
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

LookoutMountainTiger

Hey, just returned from a 150 mile putt, beautiful spring like weather here in the southern US. Thanks again for the input.