News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

High Idle ??

Started by jphish, January 30, 2010, 09:05:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jphish

Got an 06 Tiger that idles about 1300 RPM - is that high ? Also seems to jump around a bit between 1250-1350. Not exactly a 'surge' but irregular idle. Never had a triple before - is this normal ? If not, is it sync the FI time or some other adjustment ?  The bike only had 3K mi when I bought it 2 months ago - about 4500 now. Thanks, j

Mustang

can;t say about the Girly bikes but my steamers like to idle at 1500

KuzzinKenny

Hey jphish !! do you start and stop the bike by the book ?

Start, turn ignition on, pull clutch in, push starter button ( no throttle )

Stop, turn ignition off ( don`t use the kill switch )

if you use the kill switch the ECU doesn`t get a chance to save data so will run wierd !!

just a thought !!

KK
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

Bixxer Bob

ECU target RPM is anything from 2000 rpm at cold in sub-zero temps down to 1200rpm fully warmed up.

Slightly wavering is probably throttle body balance.  They are a bit prone to slipping out of balance, although at the very low miles you have they've probably never been touched before.

This thread probably should be in the "Girlies" area.....
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

jphish

OOps - Mia culpa - will henceforth post Girly specific Q's in proper place. I do start & shut down by the 'book'. No touchy throttle on any of my FI machines @ start up - the Uly will foul a plug in a blink if ya do that. Yeah - even though Tiger is low miles, it is on it's 5th year now, so probably needs a number of maint items performed. But idle cold / warm seems to be in ball park of acceptable parameters. Thanks all - j

Bixxer Bob

:thumbsup

No worries, I wasn't having a dig at you, just a hint to the moderators that it might need moving... :D
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Mustang

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob":thumbsup

No worries, I wasn't having a dig at you, just a hint to the moderators that it might need moving... :D
Damn moderator is a little slow on the uptake sometimes and needs to be hit upside the head to get his attention ............ :ImaPoser

jphish

No 'Dig' taken - appreciate the 'heads up' on protocols, otherwise Anarchy and Chaos could reign and I would draw the attention of the ever vigilant moderators. Hey Mustang - who 'ratted' me out ??  BTW - rode the Tiger yesterday to meet Jon regarding the westcoast tigerfest in Sept. Pegs worked GREAT! (I think Tony the Tiger used to say that) Does this constitute another penalty posting ?  :wink:

jphish

Hey Bixxer' - How'd you get an ORANGE Tiger ? I looked for 3 mos for a later model Bengal and couldn't find one for sale within 2 thousand miles. (That would be like to Lenningrad for you) You're a lucky man !! I like my Siberian Silver fine but...oh well. j

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: "jphish"Hey Bixxer' - How'd you get an ORANGE Tiger ? I looked for 3 mos for a later model Bengal and couldn't find one for sale within 2 thousand miles. (That would be like to Lenningrad for you) You're a lucky man !! I like my Siberian Silver fine but...oh well. j

Ok so it should read LUCIFER Orange.... :pottytrain2  I'll get round to changing it one day.

As it happens, buying a Girly, let alone an Orange one was a complete accident.  I had some major work to do on the 'Bird so wanted to take her off the road for the winter.  I was looking for a cheap old 900 Trident or similar to run around on in the mean time when I visited the Honda dealer where I was shopping for spares for the 'Bird.  My wife spotted the Girly at a real bargain price (fully loaded, 4.5k miles 2.5yrs old £4000) and said why don't you buy that then I don't have to worry about you breaking down?  

You don't pass up opportunities like that....  :lol:

Come to think of it, I was on the verge of chopping my 900 Trident in for a Sprint ST when she spotted the 'Bird at a bargain price...  :roll:

Sin_Tiger

You're Sandbag is a sharp cookie  :icon_salut
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

jphish

Bob - Timbox2 from so Wales just picked up an 05 Lucifer Orange beast. Fine looking machine! Triumph must have saved all the orange ones for their own back yard - see comparatively few on this side of the pond. Perhaps they're around, but hidden & locked up in garages ?  TTFN,  j

Bixxer Bob

Oops :oops: , just read your post again and realised your comment was about the rarity of LO Tigers, not my vague description of the colour of mine.  

I must pay more attention in class

jphish

Well...I liked the account of how the LO Tiger came into your life. Serendipity is good. So you had to write on blackboards too ? Spent half my formative years with chalk in my hand specifying what i was supposed to do/not do. Then discovered we had cheap chalk with fossilized diatoms - took me to a whole 'nother level of distraction...and more time at the blackboard. Life is a viscious cycle. j

John Stenhouse

I've got a LO Girly in Vancouver, does that count?
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting