News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Starter clutch

Started by Tiger04, February 11, 2010, 08:00:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiger04

My 04 tiger is having slow starting problems. Dealer has put in a starter from another bike and it continues to be unable to start right up. It works hard when you hit the starter and it is like it does not get enough power. Dealer has checked battery,stator,rectifier, and timing all are ok and charges the system. My dealer is into looking at the starter clutch he told me that on the old 855's and the first 955's this was an issue,but have not been with the 2000-2006 models. I would like a little help from you knowledgeable tiger owners if this has been an issue for you.
Henry
13 Tiger in Beautiful Sapphire Blue
"Tigers aren't for wimps"

Mustang

It can still be an issue on the newer bikes .......it's just easier to replace is all

http://www.tigertriple.com/forum/viewto ... ight=sprag

here's another one

http://www.tigertriple.com/forum/viewto ... ight=sprag

Buffalo

Have your dealer do a voltage drop test, particularly on the ground side of the system. That will show if the problem is actually in the starter or somewhere else. I have found many times, especially on bikes, that cables and connections may look fine externally but not pass proper current.
\'05 Tiger 955i
74 Suzuki GT550

NKL

Unlikely to be starter clutch, they either grip and turn the engine over or don't and the starter spins without turning the engine. If it's strugling to turn the engine over it a voltage/current issue, try bypassing the solanoid and see if it turns over at orrect speed.
I\'m immortal..........well so far!!!
-----------------------------------
\'08 KTM 990 Adventure
\'91 Black XTZ 750
\'10 TM 250 EN
\'07 CCM 404
Renault Traffic 100

oxnsox

Did the dealer check the soleniod???
But yes... check the earth connections, we often think that because the earth uses bits of the bike, and thats all metal, then its all good.
¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
  If it ain't Farkled...  don't fix it....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tiger04

The owner himself is going to look things over on Tuesday.I feel that he will find the issues.
Henry
13 Tiger in Beautiful Sapphire Blue
"Tigers aren't for wimps"