News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

A question for dirt riding Tigger tamers.....

Started by Advwannabe, February 25, 2010, 12:28:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Advwannabe

I'm gearing up for a long dirt ride through the outback of Australia this June. The bike is pretty much ready apart from the fitment of Mustang's excellent pegs and a set of TKCs. My question relates to the tyres.

I've run either Tourances or Anakees in the four years I've had the bike and they've been fine for the gravel work it's done.

The other day a bunch of Australian Journos took some new Yamaha Tenere 660s for a spin in the bush. They let down the knobbies that Yamaha had fitted for the day to around the 16psi mark and had some issues with tires spinning on rims and destroying tubes ( obviously no rimlocks fitted).

I've never let my tires down below 22 psi except for very short periods of slow straight line running when I've been bogged in deep sand.

However the journo's experience has got me thinking that with all Tigger's 105 horses trying to find their way onto the road surface am I at risk of spinning a tire on the rim with the extra traction on offer from the TKCs?

If anyone has had experience of this I'd be grateful if they shared it. I'd rather not fit rimlocks if I don't have to, just wanting to find out if there have been issues.

Cheers
No good deed goes unpunished
02 Tigger
02 Blackbird
75 GT380
IBA #33180

Rocinante

I have used TKC-80 on the steamer for the last few years, most of the time with around 22-26 psi, doing a lot of dirt and gravel, and I have never had that problem. I think you'll be fine, just don't go much lower.

On gravel the TKC are a hell of a lot better than the other tires you mention, and on tarmac they're fine with me. I don't grind foot pegs though.
www.dagjen.no
Once upon a time through North and South America:
www.rocinantestravels.com

SERadtke

PM happyman, I know he runs TKC's
Shawn
<((()))><

Stupid people are PROOF that evolution is a hoax!

iansoady

I would say that if you don't get tyre slip on roads with good grip and good tyres you're most unlikely to get it off-road where the grip is inevitably less.

Unless you drop the pressures of course.

Simple answer is to seal the spokes & convert to tubeless......
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

greg

I have used TKC's off road with no problems, and on road too, but don't try pushing the boundaries if you are on road with them....

I drop the pressure to 25 front 35 rear, no rim locks, and no problems.
2004 Girly.

Advwannabe

Cheers fellas, TKCs it is and an extra tube just in case, or maybe I'll look into sealing the rims, it is a good idea thanks Ian
No good deed goes unpunished
02 Tigger
02 Blackbird
75 GT380
IBA #33180

93TigerBill

Suggest you try taking the tyres off at home before you try it on the road/track - you may need to upgrade your repair kit....
The tyres are designed for tubeless, and the rims are actually tubeless rims: and the beads are bloody-near impossible to break, and to re-seal.
DAMHIK.
Bill  IBA# 45911
Newcastle, Australia
\'93 Tiger Caspian Blue
130,000 km & counting!