News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

I have a plan...

Started by kev w, March 03, 2010, 09:00:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kev w

...not something very original but I'm looking forward to it.
Leaving Wiltshire on Friday the 26th to ride upto the Lake district
Saturday -  Lakes to Inverness via Glasgow and Fort William (then no more motorway!)
Sunday -  Across the Highlands to Dunnet Head and John O Groats then back to Inverness along the coast
Monday -  Inverness to Kielder Forest via Balmoral
Tuesday -  Keilder to Buxton(ish) via Yorkshire moors, Penines, Peaks in Derbyshire
Wednesday -  Buxton to Cheddar via Wales - Welshpool then Brecons, across the bridge (I know it's motorway but it serves a purpose) around Bristol to Cheddar
Thursday -  Cheddar to Mullion (Lizard point) via Exmoor then Dartmoor, Falmouth and along the coast to Mullion
Friday -  Mullion to Lands End to meet my wife and son for the weekend in Cornwall.
Camping as I go and apart from the Lakes to Inverness leg I have limited milage to around the 260 per day mark so I can enjoy it and stop for the anticipate photo opportunites.

If anyone is free during these days and fancies joining me for a few miles that would be great, if you can let me know and we'll arrange something.

Regards,
Kev

By the way she's orange of course!
\'05 Tiger 955i
\'85 Honda XL600R

KuzzinKenny

Hey kev w !! hope the weathers kind to you for yer trip !! the Scottish motorcycle show was canceled a few years ago in march, because of the snow  :shock:

you might find this handy as gettin fuel way up there ( far north ) can be a pain, so plan ahead..........

http://www1.thomsonlocal.com/find/Petro ... /Scotland/

have fun !!

KK
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

kev w

Thanks for the info KK. I can happily get 250-260 miles from a tank (albeit if I ride like my mother drives) but I must admit I hadn't considered that being a problem, being in Inverness for two nights may be in my favour.
As for the snow I'm just choosing to ignore it, if I have to modify routes/plans when I am in Scotland then so be it.
I just can't wait for a week on the bike, camping and the mountains!

Kev
\'05 Tiger 955i
\'85 Honda XL600R

NeilD

it was minus 17 in Braemar last night apparently..  :shock:  :D

have fun  8)

KuzzinKenny

Hey kev w !! here`s a wee site that might be of interest......

http://www.scottishwebcamslive.com/webcams.htm

its better to view them in the daytime  :roll:   :lol:

have fun !!

KK
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

Sin_Tiger

When the Aviemore White Lady (main ski run) webcam was first switched on I was in Hong Kong, I remember spending an hour or so trying to sort out PC and Internet provider as all I could see was a grey fuzzy image. Finally It dawned on me it was about 3 am in Scotland  :oops:  :roll:

Wish I was home to join you, enjoy the ride and watch out for the sheep, they are stupid and hard to spot against roadside snow  :shock:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

kev w

Thanks for the replies but anybody would think you're trying to put me off!
Three weeks to go so surely it has to improve by then?
Went on the bike 30 miles to work this morning at 530am, it was -5 degrees C and only had to stop once to thaw the fingers!! Scottish winter no problem...as long as it warms a little.

On a positive note my Oregon Scientific ATC5K camera turned up today, mounted it on the bike for a few miles in this afternoons sunshine and I'm well impressed with the quality of the video. Just need to make a variety of mounting positions for it now.

Kev
\'05 Tiger 955i
\'85 Honda XL600R

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: "kev w"Three weeks to go so surely it has to improve by then?
Kev

That's what I thought when I left in mid Jan  :roll:  :lol:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

kev w

It's still on
Handle bar muffs fitted, not very pretty but looking at the weather I suspect they will be worth every penny. Tried them yesterday and found above 60 mph I couldn't get my fingers over the levers due to the muffs compressing so refitted the hand guards then muffs over the top and bolted to the bar ends/weights and they are fine.
Camera mounting perfected and packing has commenced!

I've extended the route to take in Snowdonia as well.

Kev
\'05 Tiger 955i
\'85 Honda XL600R

Sin_Tiger

You'll be the one laughing at the first bruger van when crotch rocket riders are clutching styro cups to heat themselves up  :lol:

Ride safe Sir  8)

aesdj

Quote from: "kev w"Tuesday -  Keilder to Buxton(ish) via Yorkshire moors, Penines, Peaks in Derbyshire

Hi 'kev w', sounds a cracking ride. I take it your on about easter week? I've got that week off and am getting the bike on the road for then so if you tell me your planned route for Tuesday and the weathers good I'll meet up with you. I'm based in Bradford.

Geoff D

Is that Easter week?? thought it was the week after.

I would have definitely done the Kielder to Buxton with you, but I've got a hospital app 0n the 30th for an ongoing shoulder problem.... going for a scan, only been waiting 3 months  :twisted: I know the York moors quite well, some nice roads..
The older I get the faster I was...

aesdj

Yes it is the week after :oops: , I remembered half way to cubs with my lad. I don't feel daft in anyway. Its a shame it would have been good meeting up for the afternoon but never mind. Have a great time.

kev w

I'm setting off this Friday so Kielder to Buxton is on Tuesday the 30th. If you can do next week PM me so we can arrange to meet. Will probably had enough of my own company by then so it would be good to ride with someone.
cheers,
Kev
\'05 Tiger 955i
\'85 Honda XL600R

Geoff D

Hospital on the 30th, would have definitely been there otherwise.

Never mind, enjoy your trip.
The older I get the faster I was...