News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Electrosport stator

Started by MikeBenzon, October 02, 2009, 04:15:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

delecti

That was the left over bit, the battery.

I came home from work at 3am 38kms, it was 16deg c no traffic (as you would expect), bit of everything town highway twisty bit,  high beam 50% of the time, both high and low beam have the switch relays in them everything else is standard,  R/R was cool to touch.

I will check day in next couple day temps and get a temp gauge to do it proper.

Mark
06 tiger
Mark
06 Silver Tigre
what the?

gbcphoto

Quote from: "EvilBetty"The seal prevents the oil from passing from the alternator casing, through the breather hose into the air box.  This is on older 2005's and earlier.  The newer bikes use a labyrinth breather system.

Completely normal for there to be oil in with the alternator.  The longer it sits before you open it up, the more of it will have drained back into the sump.

If you really feel the need to drain the oil out, release one of the engine bolts below the alternator.

Where is this oil seal. Is it behind the rotor? I have taken my alternator cover off and it is not obvious.
Thanks
2001 Gato Verde
1969 H1 500
2001 XR 650L
2000 XR 400
2006 KX 250F

jphish

The 06's appear to be an odd amalgam of 05 & 07 parts. Are they less prone to RR / stator failure, or no different than all the other Girlies ??

blacktiger

Quote from: "delecti"If you are to run enough electrical equipment to negate the residue of power to be converted to heat but leaving enough extra this would cut down the amount heat in the R/R?

I think you guys may have this heat thing back to front. I say that because, the times I've had to start the bike with a completely flat battery (twice, don't ask) I noticed that the RR got extremely hot as it was stuffing the battery with charge. So, going by this observation, when the battery is fully charged the RR should be cool and when you're running all sorts of accessories it would get hot.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

delecti

I'm thinking that the altinator produces power and that power increases as the revs increase, ok? and it does it constantly, so if your system doesnt use as much of the power produced by the altinator, then it has to be disposed of. Since all energy is not lost it has to be changed into something else, ie heat in the regulator. it is the law of physics

Law of Conservation of Matter and Energy

When a piece of copper metal is heated in air, it comes together with oxygen in the air. Then if it is weighed, it is found to have a greater mass that the original piece of metal. If however the mass of the oxygen of the air that combines with the metal is taken into consideration, it can be shown that the mass of the product is within the limits of accuracy of any weighing instrument, equal to the sum of the masses of the copper and oxygen that combine. This behavior of matter is in accord with what is called the Law of Conservation of Matter: During an ordinary chemical change, there is no detectable increase or decrease in the quantity of matter.

Conversion of one type of matter into another are always accompanied by the conversion of one form of energy into another. Usually heat is leveled or absorbed, but sometimes the conversion involves light or electrical energy instead of, or in addition to heat. Many transformations of energy, of course, do not involve chemical changes. Electrical energy can be changed into either mechanical, light, heat or potential energy without chemical changes. Mechanical energy is converted into electrical energy in a generator. Potential and kinetic energy can be converted into one another. Many other conversions are possible, but all of the energy involved in any change always appears in some form after the change is completed.

The Law of Conservation of Energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can change its form.

The total quantity of matter and energy available in the universe is a fixed amount and never any more or less.

So there it is in b&w
enjoy  :shock:

mark
06 silver tiger
Mark
06 Silver Tigre
what the?

Bixxer Bob

I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

oxnsox

@Delecti you're probably right....  and in lay-mans terms it means when you create or use electricity heat is always a by-product. Well thats the simple way I learnt to remember it.

@Blacktiger.  The rr will always get hot when its working at full load.  A flat battery is (electrically) similar to dumping it to ground. It is the way the simple system has been designed.

Soo...  heres a thing to ponder on. We know that not everyone experiences charging problems, and we know that essentially all the Girlies leave the factory identical. So what is the difference that causes, exacerbates the issue.... different climates, different trip lengths, amount of riding, perhaps the way we ride, or a combination of a number of these.  Certainly we're all different shapes and have unique riding stances and styles. Maybe how I sit has enough of a minor effect on the airflow around the RR to make a difference..........
¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
  If it ain't Farkled...  don't fix it....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

delecti

you are problably right what you are essentually saying is if you have wind, your cool!

Mark
06 silver tiger :lol:
Mark
06 Silver Tigre
what the?