News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Calais to Salou

Started by akey, March 18, 2010, 02:07:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

akey

Right then, my missus has now agreed that she will take the motorhome and kids to Salou in spain for our usual holiday but more importantly a couple of mates and I will be riding down to meet her there!

We are taking about 4 days from calais to Salou and so far we are planning on doing the Milau Viaduct and we want to head into Andorra (because its there!).  Have also looked at catching part of the loire valley.

Any tips, areas to hit, specific roads to enjoy would be greatly appreciated, although we are not looking at planning to much we would like some general areas to hit / avoid.

As the other riders will be on either GS' or Bandits I will naturally be leading as I am the only one with taste in bikes!!!!

Chris Canning

For those that havn't been to Andorra,it's neither big nor beautifull to look at,both Pas de a Casa and Andorra town south side to the boarder are full of bike accesory shops,which in the late 80's when the Euro was around 180,it was bonkers full of Brits buying the place up,were as now it's a case of i can buy that cheaper at home.

I've(we) have been though i guess 7/8 times and was only there a few weeks ago sking,it's a good ride up from Toulouse,and just as good going out the other side,but if it's wet be carefull the roads are like glass,having had a Pajero do a full 180 in front of me :shock:

The biggest ajustment,the French are good with bikes the Spanish ain't,so when you go out the otherside,there'll non of the French diving in the gutter to let you past,you'll have to force it.

Plenty of hotels there,the Ibis is fantastic(Andorra town),you ride inside the hotel with a pool on the roof,if your looking for more rustic, Arinsal is a sking resort, there will be hotels open during the summer.

Chris Canning

The otherthing i forgot,i've criss crossed Europe since 74,the only boarder crossing i've ever had any hassle with is going from Andorra into Spain,because every other shop is selling booze and fags,they are more than happy to strip you bike to the bare bones and then walk off,they've done it twice :evil:

Sin_Tiger

Interesting to hear that Chris, I hear you about the Spanish Customs.

I have fond memories from skiing in the early eighties in Andorra La Vella and Arinsal, hope it hasn't changed that much, I'd love to go back if my knees could take it.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

oxnsox

The only other thing you need to know about Andorra is that it takes about as long to ride thru it as it does to read the post thread this far.

Chris is pretty spot on about Spainish drivers, in the three years I lived there I think I worked out 'their' system.  Essentially if you are not in front of them you don't exist and therefore can be ignored... therefore in some places it is imperitive to get in front of you so that you can be ignored.  Risks and rules have nothing to do with it.
But there are great bike roads there.
¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
  If it ain't Farkled...  don't fix it....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chris Canning

I always find folk expect alot going to Andorra,it's what ever you want to make of it,in 2000 i paid 80 quid for my 50lt Givi topbox and still have it,along with lots of other stuff i bought.

It's a shock to ride through the middle of Andorra town,it's just a gigantic shopping center,my wife loves it,if your one of the increasing groups of blokes on their own(that could be a separate thread),it may not appeal.

The skiing area's there has come on in leaps and bounds,there's some good skiing to had,the area at the back of Pas de la Casa is vast.

akey

To be honest it my cousin that mentioned it, dont think either of us have any expectations, it was just another country that looked like fun to go through on the way  :D

Think we will have to go through the town just for a look