News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Slight Tigger issues

Started by Advwannabe, March 20, 2010, 04:02:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Advwannabe

Tigger went into my local dealer two weeks ago for it's 80k service. When it came back it appeared to be running fine and I virtually jumped straight on and rode it to Melbourne and back for the Aussie round of WSBK.

While on the ride I noticed that the bike was using a lot more fuel than before, sometimes stalled when cold and occaisionally the speedo would stop working.

I took it back to them last week to check it out. They went over everything and did a stepper motor and throttle body adjustment. They also went back to the stock tune as they felt that my Staintune pipe with the baffle fitted would work better with the stock tune. The speedo still doesn't work.

I asked if they could reinstall the off road tune I had before the last service and they said that there had been an uprated tune and the one I've been runnning for the last 30k before the service was no longer available.

Since I've got my bike back it is running well and the fuel consumption is back where it should be. However I have some concerns:

1. The tune I was running before the service is no longer available? This sounds like BS to me, what do you think?

2. I'm willing to accept the possibility that the speedo failure was unrelated to the work they did, but their attitude is to shrug their shoulders and say " that's electrics mate, we can't figure it out." Surely there must be some sort of diagnostic equipment they can fit and at least determine what part of the speedo circuit is at fault? As the fault is occuring all the time now and is no longer interrmittent I don't think I'm being unreasonable?

I'm rapidly losing confidence in these people and am going to do more research. in the meantime, has anyone else got their bike back from a service like this and was there a relitively simple fix?
No good deed goes unpunished
02 Tigger
02 Blackbird
75 GT380
IBA #33180

Bixxer Bob

Ok, may or not be related; my dealer screwed up my bike by installing a Speed Triple tune which - as well as running really rough - made the rev counter register 4000 rpm with the engine off.

As for the old tune not being available, that might well be true for Triumph dealers though I doubt it.  All the tunes are available from Wayne at Tuneboy.  More likely he forgot to:

a. Download and save your tune before he started faffing with it.
b. Forgot to check which tune was installed before he overwrote it.

I found it astounding that my Triumph main dealer techs thought you could just stuff tunes into a bike, regardless of which bike they were meant for, until they found one that worked.  They got stuck because after installing the Speed Triple tune, they couldn't overwrite it because the battery was flat.  Only they didn't notice that either.....
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Bear900

Sorry to hear about your hassles with your dealer.

I will be interested to find what your speedo issue is as well. I have only had my 02 since Wednesday and mine has gone as well. Mine was steady as a rock during the test ride and when i picked it up. On the 200km ride back it started to wobble and jump around and now it has basically stopped completely. Sounds almost identical to yours.

If my bike came back with a dodgy speedo i would at least expect an effort from them.

I have gotten a fair bit of tunboy experience on my old Rocket 3 and the speedo ratio can be altered by the program. It may be related to them stuffing your tune, but it is a strange fault.

Bixxer Bob

Ah, so you know about Tuneboy!!!

I use it a lot - that's how I worked out what the dealer had done. My issue was rev counter not speedo, I've not had any speed  issues.  I suspect your speedo issue is related to the front wheel pickup (I think Mustang advised as such earlier) so would give it a clean.  Less likely is a poor contact on the back of the speedo somewhere (also check the plugs - the wiring diagram shows two, one at the speedo end and the other at the wheel sensor).

My rev counter didn't jump around, it was rock steady at 4000 rpm with ign on and engine off.  After starting the engine it added 4000 rpm to the actual figure ie tickover was 5200rpm.

Oh, and the speedo isn't adjustable in Tuneboy the way the Rocket is due to the limitations of the ECU.

Good luck.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Bear900

Hi Bob.

Sorry mate my reply was to ADVwannabee and his speedo issue. I should have used the quote feature.

I am certainly no Tuneboy expert! :lol:

I had a good play with it on the rocket and it really is a fantastic program.
I dont know if i will bother with Tuneboy on the Tiger as i sold the cable with the Rocket and to be honest the Tiger is fuelling great. If it aint broke...........

I am going to rip the front wheel off this week and check the sensor. I have just been too busy riding the new toy! Having no speedo brings a whole new set of challenges to going for a ride!

cheers