News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Tiger 955 gearing

Started by Badger, August 16, 2004, 06:20:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Badger

I feel the Tiger could easily pull a higher gear and I have heard of people fitting a 19 tooth front sprocket but has anyone fitted a say 44 tooth rear sprocket. The combination of the two would give an increase in gearing of about 10%. If it would pull it OK it would stop me looking for another gear.

Bob
Growing Old Disgracefully

Howlin

I have a 19 on my 03 955,I think going to the 19/44 might make for almost slipping low gear to get rolling.The 19 is close to that in some situations.It has slowed the rpm down about 500 cruising,but I still catch myself looking for the ÎbigholeÌat tmes.Especially if I don't count my shifts or forget what the tach reads in 6th at 70.
My.02¢

Chris Canning

I'm the same as Howlin,i also run a 19 tooth engine sprocket and seriously have my doubts that it would pull a 48 rear as well,even a 19 around town can be a handfull.

Chris

Badger

Thanks for the info guys. I feel that Triumph could have gone for a wider ratio box with the amount of Torque these things have. Never mind. Love it anyway.  :D

Bob

BP_LONDON

I'm always wondering why bike manufacturers do not build gear indicators into the bikes as standard?? Not a big deal really, but it helps.

TigerTim

Quote from: "BP_LONDON"I'm always wondering why bike manufacturers do not build gear indicators into the bikes as standard?? Not a big deal really, but it helps.

B*W do on the GS, proved very useful.

Regards

Tim
I\'m not a complete idiot, some parts are missing

Howlin

Badger if you get a chance ride a Tiger with the 19t,it changes the ride in ALL the gears,seems to make the bike more user friendly and enhances the drive thru the rpm range while running thru the gears.
I only paid $34 for mine through my dealer,might be higher or lower where you live,and is a easy swap.
Might just like it.
 :)

ArizonaKid

I agree with the others. The 19-tooth front sprocket puts the Tiger right on the edge of being too tall, especially if you spend a significant amount of time off hard surfaced roads.  In combo with a smaller rear sprocket, it would be way over the top.  What it really needs is a taller sixth gear, like the GS, leaving the lower gears as they are for off road work.  By the way, I have an extra 19-toother that I'll sell you for $30 plus shipping.  It's a JT piece and is brand new.  E-mail me if you're interested (mailto:crblouch@msn.com">crblouch@msn.com).
Arizona Kid

Riding hard and fast down Arizona way

2007 Triumph Tiger

Badger

Quote from: "ArizonaKid"...By the way, I have an extra 19-toother that I'll sell you for $30 plus shipping.  It's a JT piece and is brand new.  E-mail me if you're interested (mailto:crblouch@msn.com">crblouch@msn.com)...

Thanks for the offer Arizona but it will probably be cheaper to buy one locally than to ship one over here to the UK.

Bob

robbo

Hi All

I have to chip in here because I went the opposite direction and actually went down one tooth. I did this because I wanted better acceleration, I figured why be able to go 140mph when you will loose your license at 100 and probably go to jail if you go any faster. I come from having sports bikes in the past so am used to cruising at higher rpmÌs

For a while I wasnÌt sure if I liked the new gearing or not but now that I have got used to it I love it. The Big Cat now has a big bite She will wheelie at a twist of the throttle in first and I have even had the front wheel lifting when changing from first to second. Fuelling doesnÌt seem to have suffered to much, I still get 190+ miles before the light comes on and she does 70mph at 5000rpm but she runs out of puff at about 110mph where the wind resistance starts to overpower the horsepower.    

Robbo
best Regards

Robbo