News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

2005 Tiger fs, DC Metro. Some issues but many mods & ext

Started by ridin gaijin, March 28, 2010, 06:28:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ridin gaijin

2005 955i adventure bike, that has been on many adventures. About 38,000 miles. Best offer. Must pick up from 22203 (Arlington, VA).

If you're joining us in the middle of the story, here's the reason I'm selling. Please see my post below this one for how the sale will work, and thank you for looking.

The good:

Triumph Off-road exhaust & tune
Exhaust and headers professionally ceramic powder-coated matte black (runs cool and looks wicked)
Ma's Crash Bars
Marsee tank bag w/rain cover
Lovingly fabricated from 100% free-range steel and fully organic plastics
New Deka battery as of last summer
Sasquatch voltage mod w/giant 30 amp fuse (and an extra one too), such that bike runs at ~14.6 v when not idling
SW Motech risers (matte black, and you get the stock screws back too)
New chain and sprockets at 24k
Owner's manual and Haynes shop manual
New Rick's regulator and stator installed about 3 months ago
Triumph taller touring windscreen
Shod in Michelin Pilots, which are crap for off-road, but very good on street; I'd estimate another 2k left in them at least
Datel voltmeter installed in dash (however, caution, I could not find a reliable 1 amp fuse connection, so the positive lead is un-fused)
Vegan, and cruelty-free (since hitting that vulture in Texas a couple years ago, anyway)
Triumph centerstand
Dealer tune-ups at 12k, 24k, and 36k
Entire cooling system flushed and refilled with Engine Ice last summer
Beadrider beaded seat cover (no more monkey-butt)

The bad:

Not running due to kill switch wiring issues.
One or more cylinders has compression issues such that the bike consumes about 1 quart of oil every 600-750 touring miles.
Will intimidate most other bikes it's parked next to.

The ugly:

Moose Racing handguards. Much better vs. trees than stock, but no protection vs. the elements. Will come to you with original handlebar weights and hardware.
Hard cases are scratched and covered in stickers from all the states the bike has been ridden in (about 32 states if I remember right) (adds character)
Sports bits of night-reflective tape at strategically visible locations, as well as a few extra Triumph stickers, and an Invader Zim one on the mudguard

Please ask any questions here.

Thank you,
Mike

Pics

Here's the headers and exhaust. Note, this pic is 2 yrs old--bike now has reflective tape on some parts, also engine guards.

Moose Racing barkbusters, solid aluminum, matte black

All the gear.

All the gear...in the dark.

The part of the luggage most drivers will see. BTW, both locks on both cases work just fine.

...And, at night:

Garage Tiger. Crappy light, yeah, I know. I'm sorry. :-( This is what I had to wok in. :-(

And, of course, at night. This is to show where the reflective tape is. Black tape is on the black painted parts, gray tape on the gray parts.

Here are its tank scars, from off-road get-offs in the pre-Ma's crash bar days:

Finally, here's the regulator/rectifier in its new, actually cooled location. I know those steel zip ties look rough, but they wear like...um, steel. If sensibilities are offended, the original mounting screws are still in the same factory stupid place behind the side plate.

2005 Tiger in Lucifurry Orange. Always something new it seems...

zombie

Hi Mike
what sort of money you thinking of
as I just sold my v-strom so i got cash.
Rode the strom for a month and it's a pile of dirt
compared to the tiger
cheers Mick

ridin gaijin

Thanks for your question Mick. I think you PMd me too? My mailbox is all jacked up, sorry.

Here's how I'd like to sell this bike: silent auction. I'm being as up front as I can about the good, the bad and the ugly, because it's not worth the bad karma for me to lie to a riding buddy. A patient mechanic can sort out the kill switch thing--if you wiggle the handlebars just right, the dash lights come on and you can start it. So that's nothing fatal.

I'm going to India on a business trip April 23 -29. How about, if anyone is interested in this Tiger, you just e-mail me with what you think it's worth to you? Bidding will end at midnight on Wednesday, April 14th, which gives the weekend of the 17th - 18th for pickup, or I can keep it in the garage for longer, too.

Does this sound reasonably fair, or incurably stupid? Let me know. Reach me at mike underscore canino at yahoo dot com.

Hard to let this guy go, but he needs a better home than I can provide for the foreseeable future. :-( Thanks for looking, all, and ride safe.
2005 Tiger in Lucifurry Orange. Always something new it seems...

Sin_Tiger

My heart aches for you Bro  :cry: nice job on the pipes  8)
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

eldiii

I seem to have the same issue with my Tiger burning oil; did you ever have it check out at a Triumph shop?  I had the whole top end, piston, rings and cylinder sleves replaced and still had the same issue afterward.  I like my Tiger enough to replace the motor outright.

I'm courious to hear your experiences and if you ever sold your Tiger.

Ed

coachgeo

Quote from: "eldiii"...  I like my Tiger enough to replace the motor outright....
Dont recall which engine but in classifieds there is a note of a good engine for sale on Ebay
COACH POSER (Till Tribota Tiger's done & I'm riding it)