News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Sunday ride

Started by Geoff D, March 29, 2010, 12:32:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geoff D

Seeing as Touratech let me down with my engine bars, thought I'd go for
a ride around where I live & take some pics   8)

View from my driveway..

Durham cathedral..

Entrance to Durham castle..

Penshaw monument..

The foundation stone was laid by Thomas Dundas, 2nd Earl of Zetland (the Grand Master of the United Grand Lodge of England) on 28 August 1844. This was four years after the death of John George Lambton.

On Easter Monday, 1926 a 15-year-old boy, Temperley Arthur Scott, fell to his death from the top of Penshaw Monument. The boy was with three friends and 20 other people when the accident happened. They had got to the roof through the spiral staircase hidden in one of the pillars. Witnesses said that the boys went round the roof walkway twice before deciding to make a third circuit. However Scott fell trying to avoid the other visitors by passing around an open end where there was no protecting wall. Afterwards the spiral staircase to the roof was closed and had never been reopened.

In September 1939, John Lambton, 5th Earl of Durham presented Penshaw Monument to the National Trust as a gift.

Due to settlement as a result of mining beneath the hill Penshaw Monument was underpinned in 1978. The next year the entire western end was dismantled block by block in order that damaged lintels could be replaced by new reinforced concrete ones.

Penshaw Monument features on the club badge of Sunderland A.F.C..

oh hell rain coming..

Haway the Lads  8)

Local hero...Bob Stokoe..

Davy lamp..

The Davy lamp is a safety lamp with a wick and oil vessel burning originally a heavy vegetable oil, devised in 1815 by Sir Humphry Davy. It was created for use in coal mines, allowing deep seams to be mined despite the presence of methane and other flammable gases, called firedamp or minedamp.

Davy had discovered that a flame enclosed inside a mesh of a certain fineness cannot ignite firedamp. The screen acts as a flame arrestor; air (and any firedamp present) can pass through the mesh freely enough to support combustion, but the holes are too fine to allow a flame to propagate through them and ignite any firedamp outside the mesh. The first trial of a Davy lamp with a wire sieve was at Hebburn Colliery on 9 January 1816.

Oh I do like to be beside the seaside.......

To be continued  8)
The older I get the faster I was...

Geoff D

Took this pic yesterday while I was out. I was born in this little red house 52yrs, 11 months & 20 days ago....haven't seen it since I was 5  :roll:
when I lived here the road was cobbled & there was only 2 cars in the whole street.....

BONANZA

Nice pics. I dont often ride in that direction for some reason :? but I realised what I was missing whilst travelling to the Scottish bike show. I usually head inland or down the coast (must be stuck in a rut), but youve given me an idea for a route next week all being well. :idea:
05 Tiger
95 Speed Triple

Timbox2

Nice one Geoff, like the bits of history thrown in, thanks, tim
2016 Tiger Sport

Bixxer Bob

Geof, you're making me homesick - and I was only back there last week!!
That view from your garden looks awfully familiar.... (I'm married to a Mackem from Seaham btw - has a brick in the SoL wall with her name on it).

Here's a couple for you:

I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Geoff D

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"That view from your garden looks awfully familiar.... (I'm married to a Mackem from Seaham btw - has a brick in the SoL wall with her name on it).

I live in High Hesleden now Bob, near Hartlepool...... your wife is a girl of obvious impeccable taste  :lol:  8)

Nick Calne

I was born in Seaburn, lived in Sunderland for just a few years as a child before heading south but it all looks so familiar some how.  Is that pier and lighthouse at Roker?
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

redbirds

Good photos Geoff. Thanks for posting.
Living vicariously through myself.

Geoff D

Quote from: "nickcalne"I was born in Seaburn, lived in Sunderland for just a few years as a child before heading south but it all looks so familiar some how.  Is that pier and lighthouse at Roker?

Yes it is  :lol: I was born in Roker  :wink: