News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

new vfr

Started by aeronca, March 30, 2010, 05:39:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aeronca

well, i said i'd never go back, but i think im in love. honda really got it right with the lines. the tank reminds me of sitting behind the ol' steamer. this is a cool bike!!! http://powersports.honda.com/vfr

slight retro look, clean lines. i was concidering a sprint st, but i dont know any more. it might look good sitting next to the steamer. what do you think????
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

abruzzi

saw a review, forgot the magazine, that gave the VFR a review of "meh" and recommended the Spring ST over it.  I much prefer the look of the Sprint, but taste is subjective.

Geof

aeronca

i read a similar review, but i really dig the look. in the end though, i'd probably not go with either one - i'd buy a new tiger. but i sure do like the honda 8)
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

Sin_Tiger

Yup, it seems to be getting lukewarm reviews, think that review was the latest BIKE (UK) issue, every review comments that tank range is not good.

Bet you the headlights are way better than the Sprint though :wink:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Bixxer Bob

I've been watching this development closely as I may replace the Blackbird with the touring version when it's released (eta 2012 wtf :shock:).  Honda let us XX owners down by developing an over-complicated variable valve, variable cylinder, variable power engine which missed the point in at least two areas: 1) if I buy a bike with 180bhp on tap, I want 180 bhp on tap, not when Mr Honda decides I can have it, 2) none of Hondas current generation of grease monkeys would have the brains to service it let alone fault-find if it went wrong.  So they junked that bike and went back to the drawing board and developed what you see in Aeronca's link.  I've not ridden it yet, but I did sit on one, only this morning.  It carrys it's weight low - like the 'Bird - and the riding position is not too weight-on-the-wrists BUT the fabled short tank range will never be a problem because (in my view anyway) that seat will have your ass numbed long before you need to stop for fuel. :?
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

redbirds

I sat on one at the Greenville SC show. The reviews I have read makes me believe that some of the test bikes sent out may have problems. One reviewer says that shifting is clunky and stiff and another pens that is slick as butter. The only thing "bad" I've read about the power delivery is a slight flat spot in the mid rev range. If the bike has one outstanding feature it is the overall quality of fit and finish. Paint and detailing are beautiful and the bike is far more handsome in person than in photos. The seat feels comfy and because of the narrow contour at the front, even a very short (5'6") guy like me can nearly flat foot the bike. The tank range will only be an issue with those who see this as a sport touring bike. At my age I rarely ride over 150 miles without a break when traveling and that is sufficient range for gas stops in most places.

Living vicariously through myself.

Chris Canning

Well that is a strange post if you like,if the VFR1200 isn't a sport tourer what is it,at any kind of speed it won't do 150 miles,your looking at 110/20 if your lucky,sure you can ride slower to get more mpg,whats the point in buying a 1200 in the first place,when the reserve comes on i want 40/50 mile you could be looking for fuel after 80 miles,god knows what Honda were thinking when they built it.

New Blackbird at 1400cc and a new VFR at a 1000cc and they would have had two models to carry the flag,instead they've got a turkey,bad move,and i don't like the motor it's more cruiser,how do i know all this,blimey that would be telling :wink:

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: "Chris Canning"if the VFR1200 isn't a sport tourer what is it,at any kind of speed it won't do 150 miles,your looking at 110/20 if your lucky,sure you can ride slower to get more mpg,whats the point in buying a 1200 in the first place,

Uh huh  :iagree
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Nick Calne

Saw one the other day at George Whites.  It was much smaller than I expected and quite a lot prettier than photo's suggest somehow.

Still there are a range of problems.  

It's a Honda, they make lawn-mowers too y'know.
It may be prettier than it looks in photo's but it isn't that beautiful either.
It's small (many of us are bigger guys and will simply look ridiculous on it)

and

The awesome new Ducati Multistrada.

I suspect the last point is the probably the critical one for tiger riders looking for something different...
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

Chris Canning

Quite funny,pull up to a junction the other day in my car,guy pulls up along side on a white VFR1200,i'm winding the window down,he can tell what i'm going to say,by the smirk on my face,and clears off very quickly,so i never got the chance to say 'Run of fuel yet mate' :wink:

Advwannabe

Link below to Trevor Hedge's review of the new Viffer in which he rides it around Australia, if you want a long term impression of the beastie

http://www.mcnews.com.au/

He likes the screen. Yeah right. Remember how they trumpeted the screen on the roadie when it first came out?

However the review is mainly positive of the beast as a sportstourer and worth a read if you are considering one.

I think it's had a major thrashing with the ugly stick and answers questions no-one was asking, but that's me
No good deed goes unpunished
02 Tigger
02 Blackbird
75 GT380
IBA #33180

redbirds

Seems as though the range is sufficient for touring Australia. Would have been nice if Honda had fitted a larger tank however.

redbirds

Quote from: "nickcalne"Still there are a range of problems.  

It's a Honda, they make lawn-mowers too y'know.
It may be prettier than it looks in photo's but it isn't that beautiful either.
It's small (many of us are bigger guys and will simply look ridiculous on it)

and

The awesome new Ducati Multistrada.

It's a Honda- legendary reliability, also make fine automobiles and jet aircraft- big plus

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder

Big guys look rediculous on anything.  :ImaPoser

Multistrada-Awesome

oxnsox

QuoteIt's a Honda, they make lawn-mowers too y'know.
First question I was asked when I did a Marketing paper... "What do Honda make?".  The answer wasn't Cars or Bikes or Lawn mowers, it was 'Engines'.  The application is just the vehicle, so to speak.........
¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
  If it ain't Farkled...  don't fix it....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

coachgeo

Quote from: "redbirds"...
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...
:shock: BEHOLDER?? :shock:   Damn...  :oops:   I thought it went:

Beauty is in the eye of the BEER HOLDER

:lol:  :lol:   :wink:  :wink:  :P  :twisted:  :P  :lol:  :idea:  :wink: :wink:  :lol: :lol:
COACH POSER (Till Tribota Tiger's done & I'm riding it)