News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Helmets

Started by Bob Tosi, March 31, 2010, 07:27:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Tosi

OK, I know helmets are very important, got that.  In the interest of economics,  is there a risk of using a helmet that meets DOT and Snell standards, that costs less than the higher dollar Shoei or Arai helmets?

Like HJC vs Arai or Shoei.....
Don't ever sell a Steamer !Steamers Rule!"

EvilBetty

Yes there is a risk your round head won't fit in it.   :lol:

When I have pinned down owners of certain brands of helmets on why they chose them, when it's not bran, it's fit.  I'm sure it's not a universal truth most owners of Shoei and Arai helmets apparently fit those with round heads.  Mine is more oval and fits HJC's best.  They are also lighter and sometimes quieter.

For $79 I am pretty damn happy with my HJC CL-SP.

I like WebBikeWord for helmet reviews.
http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle- ... elmets.htm
There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

aeronca

i've had a few in my day, and curently use an hjc is33 for summer, and an hjc is-max(flip up) for winter. i have found the hjc's as nice as the nolan i used for 10 years, and they cost alot less. in theory if it has a dot sticker, it should be as good as any of them, but buyer be wear(did i spell that right?). high end helmets have really good fit and finish, as well as the name sake. but im gunna say, IM SOLD ON HJC!!!! really good helmet's at an awsome price. check out this thread 8) http://www.tigertriple.com/forum/viewto ... ght=helmet
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

Sin_Tiger

I agree with the head shape thing, HJC is a good shape for me too. A lot of my Asian friends, Chinese, Malay & Indian, find that Arai & Shoei are better fits for them.

Like many things Korean, HJC quality and design and seem to be atuning themselves to western markets. See this month's Bike where they compare expensive apples for similar spec. cheaper apples, the HJC's come out quite well.

My last three have been Cabergs and I liked them. My two Justissimo's were a bit on the heavy and noisey side but that's flips for you. Bluetooth was important to me, hence the Justy 2, poor and no end of fixing to keep it working. Then the new Sintesi was promised, I waited and waited and eventually got one three months after promised, then I waited another 6 months till they came out with the BT kit. Dissapointed, broken conectors & loose wires straight out of the box, still not fully functional. Sintesi is better, lighter, quieter, better ventilation, stability at speed and easier visor changes. Not so good BT kit  :x paint finish appears to be very fragile, managed to chip it with a fingernail, neck strap too short.

I fianlly threw my toys out of the pram at the weekend after their promises and customer service poor response and saw the new Schuberth C3 with their new BT system, went out and bought it. Couldn't really afford it so I'll be on bread and water for the rest of the month, I just got so frustrated.

I had resisted the Teutonic legion and fashionistas that often wear them here and after a lacklustre response from thier sales people in Germay I was put off. But I have to say, you get what you pay for.

Fist of all it fits me. It is so light, quiet and comfortable I feel quite exposed, the ventilation is excellent, very important in this climate, the pinlock visor as standard is a bonus (Caberg have only just gotten around to it) and the BT, joy of joys worked perfectly straight out of the box. Needless to say I'll be buying one for UK when I can afford it.

I will hang on to my HJC MX lid though for fun days when the Steamers back on the road  :wink:

Sorry for the rant guys, got it off my chest now  :lol:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

akey

As others have said fit is the most important thing, a well fitted $80 lid will out perform a $500 ill fitting lid.

I have a Shoei, but that because they fit well and have all the features etc that I want.

I have owned loads including AGV and HJC, but the HJC just didnt fit me well so it got left in the garage (teach me for an impulse cheap buy!).

tett

If it has Snell and the new EU rating then it will be a safe helmet as long as it it the correct size/fit for you.  And, it needs to be a full face helmet.  Then look at the following characteristics in this order.

Fit (It must be comfortable!)  
Visibility (does it allow for good peripheral vision?)
Noise level (Nice to have a quieter helmet)
Venting (If it is hot outside you want a helmet with great venting)
Weight
Features (pin lock, washable liner, Enduro peak, etc)
Cost (Buy the right helmet.  If you find one at a low price great but cost should not be high on your criteria list)

Head shape is probably the most critical.  Like Evil betty said, Web Bike World has great info about this and other helmet issues.  Also many reviews.  http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle- ... elmets.htm

I spent the big bucks and got an Arai XD3.  Love it so far.  Excellent quality and fits me nicely.  Has a very large face opening so I don't feel really confined.  The other helmets I tried just did not have what I wanted.

HJC does have a good reputation and you will pay half or less than what an Arai or Shoei costs.  If you can try them out and wear one for about half an hour you will get a good idea if it fits well.  Unfortunately the HJC's I tried all pushed to hard on my temple.

Cheers!

tett

Quote from: "Bob Tosi"OK, I know helmets are very important, got that.  In the interest of economics,  is there a risk of using a helmet that meets DOT and Snell standards, that costs less than the higher dollar Shoei or Arai helmets?

Like HJC vs Arai or Shoei.....
98 Valkyrie
71 Commando
06 Tiger

redbirds

Fit is the thing as long as the helmet is of good quality. Nolan seems to make the helmet that fits my head best. Really like the HJC but can't get the fit right.
Living vicariously through myself.

Tiger04

I own a Shark and a HJC syn Sharks for mostly spring, fall and winter riding. My HJC is my primary summer head protection. I have owned a Fulmer modular and enjoyed the fit. Fit to me is whats important, especially for all day riding. :D
Henry
13 Tiger in Beautiful Sapphire Blue
"Tigers aren't for wimps"