News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Turning signal failing? Try this

Started by Shry, April 13, 2010, 02:16:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shry

Hello,

Not specificly Tiger advice, but usefull for all bikers I gues.

We had some issues with the turning signal on my father's Varadero. At first it just started to react slower everytime, only turning on when I was already half way through the turn. After a few days the turning signals just decided to quit alltogether. Turning signals didn't work anymore, the signal indicator on the dash didn't work, yet we could still hear the ticking when we used the signal swich.

After checking about everything, all the wiring, the fuses, exchanging items between bikes we found out that there was most likely something wrong with the swich. We were already looking for replacement items seeing as we couldn't figure out exactly what was wrong with it when we got lucky... We suddenly noticed that the entire issue was that the little spring inside the signal swich was jamming and that it was the reason that there wasn't a complete connection. Good thing also we found it out, saved us about 140 euro's from buying a new signal swich.

We have had similar issues with our other bikes aswell, especially when riding in the winter, with the signals just reacting poorly... We lubricated all the springs now, probably not even a 5 minute job and all the signals are working perfect again!

/Shry

Bixxer Bob

Well done Shry; and it's nice to see a newbie starting in with a useful contribution - not often that happens! :lol:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

tazshido

Definately a good tip. Maintenance is about the WHOLE bike, not just the stuff that seems obvious like oil changes and timed replacements. Some other things I have learned over the years that need to be checked/cleaned/lubed.

The return hole in the front brake master cylinder on old bikes will start to clog if not maintained properly, possibly causing a low speed front lock-up. When you change the fluid make sure you clean out that hole with a strong thin wire. And you do need to change the fluid.

Scrub and lube your center stand. It is the most neglected part of most bikes.

Every winter you should eyeball your electrical connections. Dielectric grease is your friend.

You need not ask how I know. I graduated the school of very hard knocks.
Felis Tigris Argentum

Est non aevum, est loginquitas!
Semper Fidelis