News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Engine swap?

Started by rf9rider, April 15, 2010, 05:54:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rf9rider

OK Chaps, i`ve only had my Steamer a couple of months, and so far so good.
I`ve just bought another frame and getting a few parts together to build a "special"  :lol:
I`m doing the 3 spoke wheel conversion, but the main change is the engine.
Has anyone tried or have any info on fitting the Daytona 1200 motor?
Looking at the early Triumph frames, they all look fairly similar?
I`m just waiting on a few answers on dimensions of the 1200 motor, just wanting to see if the 1200 motor is any wider or taller, to see if there will be a problem fitting the Tiger bodywork and tank.
Any thoughts/ideas welcome.  :D
No hurry as this will be a slow work in progress.  :shock:

Timbox2

I know Triumphant Motors in Merthyr Tydfil have put a 1200 in an old speed triple, but Im sure ive read that the Steamer frame is quite different to all the others, not saying it cant be done though.
2016 Tiger Sport

NeilD

might be worth having a word with Sandy at Triumph-Ant as I believe he's quite experienced in choppign and changing engines etc..

http://www.triumph-ant.co.uk/bikes.html

if it was me, I'd go down the speed-triple-ise route, maybe with 750 pistons to raise the compression... somewhere I have an article about one that was built by Brian at Jack Lilleys - he had the advantage of runningthe spares department there at the time, so had pick of the best bits.. I'll try and dig it out..

edit - timbox - looks like our posts crossed and we had the same idea!!

NeilD

NeilD

rf9rider

Cheers for that Neil.
Already spoke to Sandy at Triumph-ant about the front wheel change, nice helpful friendly bloke.
MIght have to give him another call about the motor.
As i say, its going to be a slow job, getting bits and doing stuff when and if.

Where is that article from Neil?

NeilD

It was from the Jack Lilley in-house magazine....  used to lust over the bike when i used to visit there when i had my first one...

Colonel Nikolai

Knew a guy who tooled around here with a Speed Triple that had a 1200 Trophy engine in it. Fit just fine.
Mostly commuting around town on the Steamer these days.

Nick Calne

I met a bloke in bristol who was planning to fit a 1200 engine to his steamer.  Haven't seen him around for a month or so on it, so I guess he's getting on with the transplant.

How's that for heresay?
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: "Colonel Nikolai"Knew a guy who tooled around here with a Speed Triple that had a 1200 Trophy engine in it. Fit just fine.

I think I saw him last time home, feet and back wheel sticking out of a hedge in Shropshire  :lol:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

rf9rider

Quote from: "nickcalne"I met a bloke in bristol who was planning to fit a 1200 engine to his steamer.  Haven't seen him around for a month or so on it, so I guess he's getting on with the transplant.

How's that for heresay?

If you see him again, ask him...............if you can catch him....... :lol:

Nick Calne

Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

rf9rider

Just a quick update on this.
Spoken to Sandy at Triumphant, the 1200 motor does fit straight in, but, the fuel tap fouls the 1200 carbs, and needs moving.
He said he couldn`t find a solution, so never did the swap, and he couldn`t find anyone to work with the plastic tank to move the tap.

The saga continues..................
 :roll:

Colonel Nikolai

Seems like the 1200 is set up like my sprint with a vacuum operated petcock.
Mostly commuting around town on the Steamer these days.

rf9rider

Looking at the bottom of the Tiger tank, moving the tap is not an option?

Now looking at option of fitting another tank with the Tiger tank cut down and fitted over the top, keeping the original looks.  :idea:

Or maybe just fit a Speed Triple motor  :lol: