News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

FUEL SMELL AT GAS CAP

Started by LAZYRIDER, April 28, 2010, 01:10:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LAZYRIDER

I bought my wonderful 2001 tiger used last february. Last week it got warm in here in Cincinnati so I was riding with my faceshield up and smelled gas. I pulled the side covers off thinking my plastic fittings on the tank had failed. They are fine. I only smell gas at the cap after riding it until it gets warm. It doesnt really smell in the morning when I first start out for work. Any ideas?

Tom Herold

Since the tank sits directly on top of the engine, you'll get a lot of heat building pressure which needs to vent out. The fumes you smell could be coming from something pretty simple:

Make sure the check valves on the fuel tank vent lines are functioning correctly. Use some low pressure air to clear the vent holes under the gas cap too. It's pretty common on all bikes to have those get fouled with debris.  While you're in there, take a look at the gas cap gasket for dry rot, cuts or unusual bends that might prevent it from sealing correctly.
1999 Triumph Trophy 1200
2002 Triumph Sprint ST
2005 Triumph Tiger

"When people believe you to be the fool, why open your mouth and remove all doubt....??"
Gen. George S. Patton