News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Used cylinder head arrival

Started by Rocinante, May 04, 2010, 11:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocinante

I got this in the mail today.

It makes me both excited and nervous.

It´s looking quite good though, and the shims are just as thick as claimed (2,6to 2,8mm). I doubt they´ve been swapped to fool me...

Just to start this process, how would you clean the gasket area?
www.dagjen.no
Once upon a time through North and South America:
www.rocinantestravels.com

Mustang

nice thick piece of plate glass with some 100 grit scotch 3m sandpaper taped to it and work the head in a figure 8 pattern ..it won't take but about a minute to clean the surface up

Bixxer Bob

+1 on that, but take the dowel out first eh?  :ImaPoser
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

KuzzinKenny

and mind an put the glass on a flat surface cos glass bends  :shock:

Yip !! seen a guy doin a head ( that just does not sound right ? ) on glass with it suspended between 2 pieces of wood  :?  it turned out anythin but flat !!

good luck !!

KK

ps the guy at the side of the pic looks impressed with yer new head  :lol:
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

Sin_Tiger

+1 on all the above.

That looks good, all the right marks and colours in all the right places  8)
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Rocinante

Quote from: "KuzzinKenny"Yip !! seen a guy doin a head ( that just does not sound right ? ) on glass with it suspended between 2 pieces of wood  :?

Sounds like a circus act in a red light district....

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"+1 on that, but take the dowel out first eh?  :ImaPoser

Any tips on how? It´s quite stuck.

I´ll get glass and grit paper and do the job on the kitchen counter. That should be even enough.

The guy on the right is still just as impressed...:)
www.dagjen.no

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: "Rocinante"Any tips on how? It´s quite stuck.

.......... and do the job on the kitchen counter. That should be even enough.

Stick it in a bucket of hot water for a while.

You'll get yourself in trouble there ......... works for me  :oops:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Rocinante

Quote from: "Sin_Tiger"
Quote from: "Rocinante".......... and do the job on the kitchen counter. That should be even enough.

You'll get yourself in trouble there ......... works for me  :oops:

She´s been riding pillion with me for about 90-100 000km on that bike, so I´ll chance it...:)

What about that liner seal replacement? The more I read about it the more sceptical I get. I´m afraid of risking more than if I do nothing, given that they don´t stick to the head when I remove it. If they lift I have no choice.

In addition my Triumph dealer says he never reseal liners that don´t move. He´s worked with Hinckley Triumphs since day one I believe.

But to get to the point; do I have to remove the pistons and move things around to remove, clean seal surface, reseal with Hylomar and install the liners? The manual doesn´t cover this seperately, only in connection to removing the pistons as well.
www.dagjen.no

Mustang

you could break the seal on the liners without even knowing it and then you will have coolant leaking into the engine
the pistons and rings do not have to be disturbed
just lift the liners off and clean out the bores they go in , clean off the liner base
coat it with blue hylomar and reinstall over the piston . Mark the liners with a paint pen for position and orientation before removing

.     ..      ...
  O    O      O

like the above illustration

dots to the front and 1 2 and 3 dots for the cylinders

ask Jetdocx what happens when you take the head off and don't reseal the cylinders ......
yep that's right you'll be taking it back apart because you are using coolant  
It is worth doing while you have her apart and only takes a  little extra effort .

the liners go back over the rings easy enough .

JetdocX

For the record, I never ran the thing like that.  I took the head back off, removed the cylinders and pistons, cleaned everything up and resealed with hylomar.  It's way easier to clean the cases with the pistons removed, but the degree of difficulty goes way up if you drop a wrist pin retainer into the case.

Anyways, for your entertainment:
http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,5924&highlight=
From parts unknown.

Rocinante

Quote from: "JetdocX"For the record, I never ran the thing like that.  I took the head back off, removed the cylinders and pistons, cleaned everything up and resealed with hylomar.  It's way easier to clean the cases with the pistons removed, but the degree of difficulty goes way up if you drop a wrist pin retainer into the case.

Anyways, for your entertainment:
http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,5924&highlight=

Hey, Mustang actually calmed me down and made me  want to do it. Then you come along.:shock:

I´ve read that thread and it made me feel inadequate and anxious about the whole ordeal...

But ok, I´ll get back to this when I finally open up the monster.
www.dagjen.no

JetdocX

If you take your time and are careful, there's not much to worry about.  I'm a little more anal than most, I'd expect, so I cleaned and shined everything nicely before reassembling.  It's not required, though. :wink:
From parts unknown.

Rocinante

Quote from: "JetdocX"If you take your time and are careful, there's not much to worry about.  I'm a little more anal than most, I'd expect, so I cleaned and shined everything nicely before reassembling.  It's not required, though. :wink:

OK, good to hear. I'm leaning towards resealing again... and back against ... and in favour again ...

I guess what I'm trying to say is we'll see.
www.dagjen.no

JetdocX

Ahhhh, same method I use.  Anything worth doing once is worth re-doing the right way ten miles later. :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
From parts unknown.

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: "JetdocX"Ahhhh, same method I use.  Anything worth doing once is worth re-doing the right way ten miles later. :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

:ImaPoser  :ImaPoser  :ImaPoser