News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Morocco Oct-Nov 2010

Started by greg, May 07, 2010, 01:37:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

greg

I am spending a month in Morocco, leaving October 10, returning Nov 8.

Plymouth - Santander return booked (£188), if anyone happens to be down that way at that time we should meet up for a cuppa.

My route takes in the Atlas, into Western Sahara to Dakla, then up to Marrakesh to meet up with the other half (flying in) for a week toodling round more of the Atlas, then back.

Went a couple of years ago on the way to elsewhere but in way too much of a rush to take it in, and it doesn't half deserve to be taken in!

Won't be bothering with too much off road this time, so Tourances not TKC's.
2004 Girly.

Bixxer Bob

Greg,
I did Morrocco a couple of years ago, sadly on a bus tour, not the bike and stayed in hotels.  Are you tenting it?  I've never been further than europe and quite fancy Morrocco but I've not yet given it any real thought.

Thinking back, I remember Ouarzazat in particular... you only have to breath the air to get a dose of the runs...
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Geoff D

Would love to do it but can't get a month off,  am geen with envy greg  :roll:

Hey Bob if you fancy a week or two next year, I'll def be up for it.

Fingers crossed I might... just might make the UK meet this year. Maybe we could discuss a Morrocco trip & get one or two others interested??
The older I get the faster I was...

Chris Canning

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"Greg,
I did Morrocco a couple of years ago, sadly on a bus tour, not the bike and stayed in hotels.  Are you tenting it?  I've never been further than europe and quite fancy Morrocco but I've not yet given it any real thought.

Thinking back, I remember Ouarzazat in particular... you only have to breath the air to get a dose of the runs...

I did Morrocco!!! there's a well versed package Wallah if ever i heard one  :roll:

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: "Chris Canning"I did Morrocco!!! there's a well versed package Wallah if ever i heard one  :roll:

:ImaPoser  :pottytrain2

Not ashamed to say package tours have been my holiday of choice in recent years.   I've lived overseas on and off during my military career so can accept you don't really get into local people and customs that way, but they have their place.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: "Geoff D"Would love to do it but can't get a month off,  am geen with envy greg  :roll:

Hey Bob if you fancy a week or two next year, I'll def be up for it.

Sounds like a plan, we can have a chat about it when I'm up your way 19-21 May.

Chris Canning

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"
Quote from: "Chris Canning"I did Morrocco!!! there's a well versed package Wallah if ever i heard one  :roll:

:ImaPoser  :pottytrain2

Not ashamed to say package tours have been my holiday of choice in recent years.   I've lived overseas on and off during my military career so can accept you don't really get into local people and customs that way, but they have their place.

Coming back from Le-Mans two weeks ago was an interesting experience,with ferry jam packed with a different a kind of holiday maker bused up from Spain because of the ash cloud,and looking at the forcast,it'll be the same going to the NW200 next wednesday :cry:

Bixxer Bob

Although I do 10-12,000 miles a year - mostly down to long range commuting - I don't consider myself a hardcore biker, but now that I'm on the verge of retirement from full-time work, I hope to do some of the long trips I've dreamed of whilst I'm still fit enough.  I've been to the TT a couple of times and regularly ride to down to a friend's cottage near Le Mans but that's not proper touring.

The NW200's on the list to do, but not this year, I'm too busy re-training and setting up my own business.  I don't know how I ever found the time to go to work.... :)

Oh, and regarding the "different" holiday-makers on the ferry (and wanting to put some distance between me and the hoards) perhaps I was unclear about 'package tours'.  My wife insists that when we book one it has to have some meaningful historic relevance and she researches the places to be visited very thoroughly.  I think she sees it as a life goal to educate me, I've seen enough historic ruins to last a lifetime  :lol:  In the case of Morocco we followed most of the route used by Gordon West in the 1930s in his book "By bus to the Sahara"

Chris Canning

I trundled off the ferry in 1973 on my Kawasaki 750 H2 and it took 16 hours to ride to Rodez in the SOF,and have averaged between 3/5 trips to Europe every year ever since all with my other half,which has ranged from weekends at Le-Mans for the bike 24 hours to 4/5000 two weeks on the road,although we do have the odd break in winter and ski  :D

greg

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"Greg,

A mix of tenting and hotels. Having been before I know the ones I do and don't want to re-visit.
Stayed off the salads last time, and just drank bottled water, no tummy troubles though one of the other guys did come down really badly. He ate the salads.
2004 Girly.

BigMark

Can i come next year?  

Somewhere on my hit list is Morroco...

Bixxer Bob

Ok, so the "Maybe I'll do Morocco next year" initial chat is officially pencilled in for the Tiger meet 11 July.  If you can't make it I'll start a new thread soon after.  There'll be plenty of advbice incoming from those that have already been I'm sure  :wink:

greg

Well guys, I sold my Tiger because I have changed my mind and will be doing alot of offroad.

Tiger just too heavy, I'm thinking here of being solo, falling off in the middle of nowhere, and having trouble picking it up, perhaps having to do it repeatedly, or worse being stuck under it.

I have used it off road before in N. Africa, and yes, you do fall off reasonably regular when blasting across what seems like lovely corrugated piste ( :?  ) only to hit soft sand and whoops, off you fall. Which is ok in company.

So, that's that, 6 years of very satisfied ownership, time for a change! In the spirit of adventure, or stupidity, I have bought a Royal Enfield Bullet Electra, the update model (disc brake, electronic ignition etc), 07, very low miles and already partially kitted, and way lighter than a Tiger. An unconventional choice for an unsupported trip but hey, I think I can guarantee an adventure!

So, will look in here occasionally to see if anyone else will be down there, otherwise adios, this is a great forum and best wishes to all.
2004 Girly.

oxnsox

Good on you Greg...
and good luck
¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
  If it ain't Farkled...  don't fix it....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~