News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Tourtech vs Thunderbike Engine Guard Bars

Started by jakes10mm, May 10, 2010, 04:39:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakes10mm

Thinking about adding a set of engine guards on my 2006 Tiger and looking for opinions between the bars offered by Tourtech and Thunderbike.  Did a few searches and not finding any comparative threads....may be wording my searches wrong.  Opinions?  Justifications that you used in deciding on a set of crash bars?
06 Tiger 955i

tokalosh

Price, really.  

I don't know how many members have had the pleasure of buying two sets of crashbars, let alone the misfortune of putting them to the test (knock-on-wood!).

I bought the Fehling bars (from Germany) because I read somewhere that they are the same ones that Triumph uses (or was it TouraTech?) and they are only 125 euros.  They are simple enough to install and are well constructed.  Here are some photos of mine:

http://tigertriple.com/forum/viewtopic. ... ht=fehling[url]

Anyone else want to weigh in on this?  As my granddad used to say, Opinions are like assholes, everyone's got one--let's hear yours. :lol:
common sense just ain\'t so common these days
-------------------------------------------
\'06 Farkled Girly
(\'93 K75)
(\'95 Honda Sahara 350)

tett

+1 on the Fehling bars.  

Very good service from Triumph Online in the UK to get these.  Shipping was surprisingly cheap.  http://www.triumph-online.co.uk/tiger-9 ... -815-p.asp

And, while you are at it, don't forget grill covers.

tett

98 Valkyrie
71 Commando
06 Tiger

BigMark

I got the Thunderbike ones, Got hit by a cage and smashed up my front fairing, panniers gear lever foot rest, bent my handlebars and clutch lever.. (as well as a few more bits) but my tank was ok..  :D

Seriously now... I held on to the bike with a vice like grip and slide down the round still hanging on and the crash bars protected my leg on the left side while everything else that side got damaged... Including my Broken Elbow, Broken Collar Bone and Rotator Cuff so could well have prevented a broken leg. They didnt bend at all just got scratched to shit..

Mustang

thunderbikes are the ones to get if you want serious throw it down the road protection

the others are all good too for slow speed drops

it's like the oldsaying goes "you get what you pay for"

me I use nothing and have been ok with the tigers for 15 years now

although all three tiggers have scratches on the tanks............ but no road rash :shock:

JasonS

I also have the Thunderbike engine bars...

I specifically like hold they extend WAY out from the bike. I have had three over with the bars on... all on soft ground while stationary thankfully... the TB bars look to hold the bike higher off the ground, helping to prevent damage to the bars and other controls.

I also almost always ride with the side cases on it, and they also pitch in on a tip over... while they don't handle it as well as the bars, they do help prevent damage to important things like foot pegs and shift/brake levers.
\'tweachisown

Photo Journal of my 2009 Texas Trip Being Written Here
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=4 ... 48daf95d7c

Mustang

Quote from: "JasonS"I have had three over with the bars on... all on soft ground while stationary thankfully...

well no wonder you fall over look how high you have the crap piled on a bike that is already top heavy ................do you have the kitchen sink in there somewhere too  :ImaPoser  :ImaPoser  :ImaPoser

JasonS

Quote from: "Mustang"
Quote from: "JasonS"I have had three over with the bars on... all on soft ground while stationary thankfully...

well no wonder you fall over look how high you have the crap piled on a bike that is already top heavy ................do you have the kitchen sink in there somewhere too  :ImaPoser  :ImaPoser  :ImaPoser

Dang it.. I KNEW I forgot to pack something!!!

Actually the stuff up high is very light... the sleeping bag.air matt and pillow.. the tank bags had the heavy stuff.. the top box had clothing... food in one side caes and cooking stuff int her other ... spare parts and tools and water and the two 30oz fuel bottles..  kermit chair and tent on top of each side case...

I am photo journaling the trip here.... the load gets rearranged by the third day ..

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=46705&id=1452684179&l=48daf95d7c

but so far am only on Day three of a 24 day trip... lol  .. too many pictures... if there is such a  thing...
\'tweachisown

jphish

Guess I'm the 'oddball' here - no surprise there. TBs look pretty stout and likely offer superior protection. I got the TT bars -  a bit less robust but really just looking for tipover protection... like when ya forget to put the kickstand down at the gas station, (petrol station for you across the pond cousins) Hope I never have the misfortune to "test' em. j

Chris Canning

Touratech everytime.

Spud

not got any yet but there on the list. Tett where did you get your hand guards from cheers Spud

Chris Canning

My logic with the Touratech!!,the chances are your'll be going forward when you fall off,the Thunder bars don't look conjusive to that,the way they stick out,the Touratech with a rounded shape would give a little less stress to the bike alround,if you'll pardon the pun,but for you guys who haven't got them,i'd certainley buy a set,the chances are you'll need e'm in the end.

NebraskaRat

Naugh!!  that bikes not loaded.  This is my son's bike somewhere in the Bolivian desert on the way to Ushuaia, in South America.  They were traveling 2-up and camping.  The rear wheel bearings failed in Santiago, Chile, and the front's another 1100 mi further south.  He stopped at a scooter repair shop in Calafate and the guy comes out of the back room with a set of bearings and pops them in the front wheel - a perfect fit.  Amazing!

NKL

Touratech on my 2006, to me they are the only bars that look like the have actually been made for the bike, and as Chris says things that stick too far out normally end up getting ripped of in a spill. But you pay your money and take your pick.
I\'m immortal..........well so far!!!
-----------------------------------
\'08 KTM 990 Adventure
\'91 Black XTZ 750
\'10 TM 250 EN
\'07 CCM 404
Renault Traffic 100

JasonS

Seems to me that there are two jobs for engine bars... one they can do very well and one they will likely fail at.

I have the bars on for low speed tip overs. I think this is why most of us put them on... maybe I am wrong here.

I **hope** that the bars will help protect me and/or the bike in a moving event... by that I mean over 10 mph and not in a parking lot situation...  however... I've been on a bike that goes down and there can be enormous amounts of energy involved... and how that all happens will have a dramatic difference in how any of our bars fare... so I have no expectation that the bars will be a major plus in a big wreck, outside of protecting me.

..at 50+ mph... I think all of the bars we use will be destroyed and will aid in destroying a part of the bike that might not be otherwise as it is firmly bolted to places that will transmit high forces where they were not designed to go.

my old bike went down 4 times... 3 in parking lot situations (more damage than I'd like) and once at 15mph(which really messed it up)... the Tiger has fallen over 3 times, all with bars on, and no damage other than a few scratches.
\'tweachisown