News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

2006 Tiger Stator and Regulator electrical check

Started by mille44, May 26, 2010, 10:42:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mille44

So, I'm wondering how to check the stator and Regulator to make sure the bike is producing the AC and DC it should be. Can someone give me a step by step on the process?

Below are my notes from a conversation with a battery expert and some information I have gathered on the bike and the components I power. It seems like I should not have any issues with draining the battery. It seems that I use (with everything on) 334 watts. I should have 86 watts left over. Maybe, I am using it up in lights and dash function, etc. Do you think I am really close to the threshold? Remember I rarely use the electric vest or the electric pants (combined of 98 watts).

2006 Triumph Tiger Charging System:

Amperage output of charging system: 420 watts/ 35 Amps
Should rest at 12.2V
At Idle 12.4V
At 4000 RPM 12.8V
Output of regulator rectifier should be 13.8V @ 4000 RPM
Stator output should be 65 volts AC

Stator makes 65 Volts AC, rectifier converts to 13.8 Volts DC @ 4000 RPM. If there are more than 14.5 Volts DC then there is a problem with the regulator.

Accessories and Gear:

Power draw from heated gear:
Heated Grips: 24 watts, 2 amps (low) / 36 watts, 3 amps (high) ESTIMATED
Gerbings heated Vest: 54 watts, 4.5 amps
Gerbings heated Pants: 44 watts, 3.6 amps

Power draw for Fuel injection 200 watts, 16.7 amps ESTIMATED
On the seventh day God made Triumphs; and the Devil rides a Triple!

If its wide enough for two wheels it\'s a road!

Keep talkin\'...I\'m takin\' up the trigger slack!

Mustang

just the headlights alone if they are H4's are drawing 110 watts on low beam

you are probably still ok but if you add any other lighting other than LED and use the heated gear you will be taxing the ol' girl

oxnsox

You've done some good groundwork there. Remember theres some (a lot actually) of losses in the standard wiring on the girlies.... I'm guessing that because the injection system is pulsed then it will actually use less than the figure you indicate (but I haven't measured one)

The best way to check things is to measure them. Easiest way would be to check voltage, at the battery- engine running. And record the numbers you get on idle and at a few thousand rpm, with lights on and off....  If you had a DC current clamp you could also clamp the neg line to the battery and also log the difference in charge/discharge.

That would show if alls good.
¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
  If it ain't Farkled...  don't fix it....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

mille44

Here is what I tested last night:

From the alternator a plug with three yellow wires I get 65-70 volts (each wire)
Note: tack & dash is not working when unplugged.
Note 2: Bike only started 3 times without the charging system (immediately after a 40 mile ride). Possible battery problem?

To ground - 23.5 VAC

Check at battery while running. Low beam headlights on only)
13.3-5 VDC @ Battery Charging @ 4000 RPM

It looks, to me, that the charging system is working just fine and produces ample voltage both AC and DC. I'm thinking that the battery is the culprit even though I have had these problems since the bike was new. I think I'm going to order a new gel battery w/ more cranking amps to see if i can solve the problem that way...

mille44

Oh, and no HID bulbs. I always thought that the 06' Tiger produced enough light at night...