News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Mikuni - How to Remove Needle Jet

Started by Flatch69, May 18, 2010, 07:38:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flatch69

Can anyone answer the question how do I remove the needle jet?

I am getting my steamer back on the road after 6 years in storage and this is the last  part of the carb to clean but i can not remove it from the carb. I have removed the main jet, slide and needle assembly from the top. Dipite this the needle jet and grey slide block are firmly fixed in place.

What is the best method to ease the needle jets out for cleaning?

Thank you.

MtheTiger

Flatch

The needle jets are a press fit in the plastic slider.
When holding the slider upright (needlejet pointing down) just press the needlejet up through the slider by hand.

Before doing this take notice about the exact way the needlejets are fit in the slider because they have a little notch on them at the bottom that keeps them from turning when you screw the main jet back in.
-Only dead fish go with the flow-

97 Caspian blue

Flatch69

MtheTiger.

Thank you for the infomation. I had to use an old drill as drift as they where gummed into placed. I have cleaned out the small air holes in the elusion tube / needle jet refitted them and reset my float hieghts.

However, the problem still remains. This is the bike starts first time and idles perfectly revs up when you roll the throttle on gently but bogs down and dies if you snap the throttle open. If you roll off the throttle the bike idles perfectly.

Can you suggest where I should look next?

My bike is a stock 1984 steamer. No carb mods & standard exhaust.
I am getting back on the road after 6 years in storage. It ran perfectly before the storage.

I have stripped and cleaned the carbs  (pilot jet, main jet, needle jet, pilot screw) have all been cleaned. I have blown air through the small air passages (little brass holes) that feed into the main & pilot circuits.

I have also stripped down the fuel tap (petcock). Emptied and swilled  out the fuel tank and added new fuel. Checked the fuel tank vent.

I have come to the end of my ideas on how to fix this concern. Can anyon eels suggest something before I have to pay a repair shop to look at this for me.

I hope to hear from someone soon.

Martin.