News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Will it run without an Airbox?

Started by Flatch69, May 19, 2010, 05:57:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flatch69

I am trying to set up my engine after years of storage but it will the revs will not increase when i open up the throttle. It idles fine and i can increase the revs by rolling on the gas until about 4.5K.

My question is should my engine run well wihtout the airbox on if the bike is static on the centre stand?

Or do i need to refit the airbox everytime i run the engine?

Thank you.

I am coming to the end of my sanity with this bike (1984 Blue Steamer)

nightrunner

Nope, they will bot run w/o the box, filter, plenums and right side cap in place.  If its been in storage for years, you will likely need to remove and clean the carbs.  Also check the tiny little fuel filter that is inside the rubber hose just above where the hose splits of to the three carbs.  You have to pull the carbs to get to it and you cant see it from the outside.  Doesn't take much to plug it.
Scott

Seeking adventure and peril

Flatch69

Thanks scott.

The airbox is currently off as I have been cleaning out the carbs, resetting float hieghts, pilot screws 2 turns out, cleaned out the tiny inline filter, etc.

I will put the airbox back on and see if the engine runs correctly when I open the throttle.

Martin.

nightrunner

While its out, coat the lip of all 6 rubber boots with wheel bearing grease or petroleum jelly.   Carbs and airbox snap right in with no problem.  Makes a better seal when the clamps are tightened down too.
Scott

Flatch69

Aghhhhhh!!!!!

After fighting the airbox & carbs back on the engine only idles at 2K on full choke. It won't idle off choke and dies as soon as a open the throttle.

Before the airbox was fitted it idled without choke and reved up to 5K on a little throttle but died if you snap it open.

Any suggestions???? I am resigned to stripping out the carb again and double checking everything again

Time for beer and relax. I am not going in the garage again until next week.

Jaythro

Count ya self lucky you ain;t got a a POS 1200GS

This what ya have to do to change a clutch

I gotta split the engine as this POS with just under 12000 mmiles dropped a damn exhaust valve!

nightrunner

Have you checked the filter element?  You can take the box apart and there is a nice foam element in there.   The first time I took mine apart it was caked with red clay.  Don't know how it ran.   Other than that, yes clean the carbs again.

Also have you read all the threads on the how the coils on these beasts fail?   They are crap.
Scott