News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Silly boy sunday riders!!

Started by Timbox2, May 23, 2010, 06:19:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timbox2

The missus doesnt really do bikes, I can count on one hand the times shes been on the back over the last ten years, but today was one of those days, it might be her last thanks to some twats.

I took her over to Bristol via some of the nice back roads from pontypool via Usk, Chepstow etc.

Im not a particularly fast rider on my own, and I really take it easy with the guvnor on the back, but anyway, approaching Chepstow on the old Usk road suddenly ive got several headlights in my mirrors coming up fast, Ive got a tin box in front and Im keeping my distance, but suddenly Ive got 3 sports bikes all diving in front of me in the gap causing me to brake quite sharply,the missus slamming into me,  then going for it on a blind bend, next thing a blackbird comes past, white helmet, POLICE stamped on the back , couple of bends later, copper in the middle of the road with all the sports bikes pulled in, copper signals to me to pull in aswell which I do.

Straight away the copper says to me, its ok we only wanted a chat with you, my missus starts going ape at these guys saying they could have killed us etc etc, blackbird copper says I know I saw it all, and so did my video camera.

The copper starts saying to one of the guys that hes really contemplating seizing his bike there and then.

Anyway copper says thanks for stopping to me and bids me fairwell after handing me the Bike safe leaflet.

I knew I shouldnt have gone on the bike today, with the missus anyway, she reckons she wont do it again, it really shook her up, its a shame really, Im off on me own down the New Forest tomorrow, a little saddened by it all,

Theres good and bad in everything I know, just a pity we had to meet the downright irresponsible today
 :(
2016 Tiger Sport

Sin_Tiger

That's exactly what worries me about taking my own sandbag out on the back, apart from me not having carried one since the 70's nor her since then either.

It's at moments like that the sound of a Gixxer being crushed can be quite appealing, I'm happy to see the Blackrats out on the road, they are more intouch and sensible than many of the Pandaboys.

Biking is under threat from so many directions it really makes me angry when you see these incidents involving those that non bikers associate with all bikers.   :x
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Chris Canning

Tim

As you know I don't ride anywhere unless it's two up,but when the weather is like this in the UK the last thing in world i'd want to do is ride a bike in the Uk,for all the reasons you've already covered.

On the way back down the A5 a week ago 9 o'clock at night on the way back from the NW,never saw a living sole,it is possible to ride in the UK but you sure have to pick you times,i've spent the weekend sat in the sunshine and watching Moto GP and BSB,listening to all the prats howling past on the motorway :roll:

Funny thing bikeing,the PR has you beleave it's all about freedom and individuality,when really it's all about lemmings :roll:

Nick Calne

Sorry to hear about that Tim.  It's a real shame that the missus doesn't wanna go on the back.

I think that road does have any number of idiots on it on a sunny day and I share your feeling about some sportsbikes riders- They are a bloody menace sometimes.
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

Timbox2

Quote from: "Chris Canning"Tim

As you know I don't ride anywhere unless it's two up,but when the weather is like this in the UK the last thing in world i'd want to do is ride a bike in the Uk,for all the reasons you've already covered.

On the way back down the A5 a week ago 9 o'clock at night on the way back from the NW,never saw a living sole,it is possible to ride in the UK but you sure have to pick you times,i've spent the weekend sat in the sunshine and watching Moto GP and BSB,listening to all the prats howling past on the motorway :roll:

Funny thing bikeing,the PR has you beleave it's all about freedom and individuality,when really it's all about lemmings :roll:

I know Chris, and usually I also avoid Sundays especially like the plague.
I should count myself lucky that I can ride a lot during the week should I wish, Ive got all week off so tomorrow going down the New Forest should be a better experience.
2016 Tiger Sport

oxnsox

Enjoy the New Forrest on yer todd Tim, I lived down in Lymington for a few years and drove thru the 'forrest' most days to work in Sot'ton, but also to the west and south. Enjoyed the fact I had a couple of different route options to get to work. Pity I was in a Van...  :lol:
¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
  If it ain't Farkled...  don't fix it....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

KuzzinKenny

I prefer goin out on the Tigger through the week if i can and avoid the weekend warriors  :ImaPoser

KK
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

rf9rider

I`ve given up riding on Sundays, partly down to whats been mentioned, plus i work Sunday nights.
Best day for me is Fridays, my day off.  :D

Chris Canning

There's me thinking i was the only one who'd worked it out!!!

Tim will enjoy Sammy Millers,it's one of the real gems,if you have never been go,if the weather is like it is now,not only a great bike museum with some fanastic displays,but good facilities as well.

NeilD

+1  i work shifts so do most of my riding during the week.. I live just down the road from Cadwell and they had the BSB round there this weekend.. I was actually off this weekend, but purposly headed in the opersite direction and went to see some club racing at mallory, and had a completley numpty/plod/hassel free ride..  8)  :)

BigMark

unfortnately this is the way of things around the South East too..

This last weekend was a scorcher down here and there were idiots everywhere. All riding too fast in the wrong places, overtaking on corners etc.. It is scary.. But then we have a Caterham 7 Clan around here who behave exactly the same.

Lucky for me within 2 hours i am in france and heading out on the quiet rural roads. I leave the uk riding for other times of the year or early mornings..

Chris Canning

Quote from: "NeilD"+1  i work shifts so do most of my riding during the week.. I live just down the road from Cadwell and they had the BSB round there this weekend.. I was actually off this weekend, but purposly headed in the opersite direction and went to see some club racing at mallory, and had a completley numpty/plod/hassel free ride..  8)  :)

I had two tickets for the above,because of the 848 thing,ironed the settee and watched the GP and BSB instead

Bixxer Bob

Tim,  

I agee with everything here so far, idiots spoiling it for the sensible etc.  If the police take away their toys they'll only find something else annoying to do....

Anyway, regarding the impact on your wife, try to play down the negatives (she got a fright and bounced under braking etc) with the line that we know biking is dangerous but it's also exciting because of that.  Whether in the car on or the bike we meet idiots every time we're out so this incident - whilst an extreme example - wasn't that unusual but you both survived because YOU did all the right things and kept it together. Try to get her to focus on the positives - the police were there, they got it right (ie you weren't in any way to blame) and they dealt with the problem.  Once she's calmed down she might see it for what it is, and the idiots are probably looking at dangerous driving charges which are looked on seriously by the courts especially when others are at risk.

Good luck, and I hope she gives it another go soon. :wink:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

jonathan jaecks

Commuting aside, all my fun rides are on weekdays.  With so many distracted and largely talentless riders and drivers clogging the roads on weekends I just opted to avoid it altogether.  I also ride with my panniers on 24/7/365 and the police will usually ignore me or give a little wave.  

06' with all the fixin's

iansoady

I agree with everything said here* - I'm also one of the lucky ones who can ride when I feel like it, and increasingly that's never at weekends. I had to go out in the car yesterday and the appalling driving (cars and bikes) just made me feel pleased I wasn't on the bike - that and climate control!

*except can't agree with Bixxer Bob that danger is what makes riding exciting - personally I try to minimise my own exposure to danger. The excitement of riding to me is the front wheel nosing out onto an unfamiliar French D road in the early morning mist with no idea of where I'll be sleeping that night.....
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650