News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

electrical hicup on the Tiger, 98

Started by Bob Tosi, May 27, 2010, 07:03:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Tosi

She's been running great!  got off work very late last night and everything electrical was dead. got it jumped and got home.  This morning I tried to start and only had light and she wouldnt turn over.  Tested the battery and it only had 9.2 volts.  Yesterday the charging system was running at 14.6 volts at the battery terminals.  Going to buy a new battery now.  

Anybody got any ideas on this???  Seems awfully weird for the battery to dump like that.
Don't ever sell a Steamer !Steamers Rule!"

JetdocX

Buy a battery tender and keep it plugged in when you're not riding.  I'd also recommend a AGM type battery.

When was the last battery replacement on this one?
From parts unknown.

Bob Tosi

Jet are you cheating at work?  LOL on Tiger Tripple and not doing your spreadsheets or whatever it is you do.  Yes its addicting........

Dont know how old the battery was.  It was at 9.3 volts at the battery store.  I got a new AGM battery with a 2 year warranty.  Should be good to go.

JetdocX

It's assholes and elbows around here or it's crickets.  Never anything in between.
From parts unknown.

Bob Tosi

LOL

got the battery in and all is well. working on installing a new voltage meter.

Bob Tosi

ditched the clock on the advise of smarter people than me.  the wiring was very simple, now I have a power source for my aux power outlet.

Also got my new seat:

JetdocX

That seat looks dead sexy on your bike.  Me likey! :lol:
From parts unknown.

Bob Tosi

I have the guys numbers and would recommend him to anybody.  He did it in 1 day and for only $75.

JetdocX

Quote from: "Bob Tosi"I have the guys numbers and would recommend him to anybody.  He did it in 1 day and for only $75.

In Chico?
From parts unknown.

Bob Tosi

Yes , in Chico off Hwy 32 going towards Hamilton City.  the guy does amazing work.  He has a $10k custom chopper in there that he did the seat for and it looks great.  Huge selection of materials.

He rebuilt my foam and covered the seat and it feels great.  I can slide around on it but it has a "grippiness" to it that I like.

Mustang

Bob
see that fuel filter in your last pic ????
It looks like the gasoline is already starting to deform it , the way the bottom hose is coming off it at an angle ?

I used to have one just like it .
Key word USED TO , it got so bad that it completely shut off the flow of gas it bent over so bad .

I have found now that you either by a really good expensive one or just use the cone filter in the fuel pipe and clean it when ever you do air filter maint .

Bob Tosi

It might be the angle of the photo but I will look at it closely to check.  Does anyone know the approximate amperage draw of a GPS unit running on 12v?? I need to know how big a fuse to install for mine.

Mustang

a 5 amp fuse will be fine , as would a 3 amp also

Bob Tosi

since this will be on the "hot " side should I put in an on/off switch or just dont forget to disconnect the GPS when I stop riding??

Mustang

personally if it were me I would take the twelve volt power from the white plug that hangs under the fairing in the front and should have a tag on it that says 'electrical test'
it's already fused and as an added bonus is only live when the key switch is on .   :shock:  :D