News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Tigger Back but Still Surging

Started by HappyMan, May 26, 2010, 04:37:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HappyMan

If any of you watched my thread "Surging in Illinois" this is a follow up.

Got Tigger back today.....running better but still not fixed.  :roll:

They went through the tune, found a very bad fuel filter and figured that to be it.  Good guess but she's still surging.  What's left from the problem I had in Illinois is surging that happens when the throttle is almost closed but not quite.  At it's best it's a surge and at it's worst it's like someone is hitting the kill switch on and off briefly.

I'll drop it off at the dealer again tomorrow but if anyone has any guesses I can pass along it would be appreciated.  My best guess is a bad TPS.
Life is hard.  It\'s even harder if you\'re stupid. - John Wayne

Life\'s too short......Let\'s ride! - HappyMan

http://ridedualsport.com

EvilBetty

Sounds like a bad TPS.
There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

HappyMan

It does but I would have thought they'd caught that at the shop.  I know I mentioned it to them bringing it in.  So perhaps they checked it and found nothing and it's not the TPS.  We'll see.....

EvilBetty

There have been several bad TPS's lately here where the dealer tool wasn't showing any issues.  BB for one I think just recently.
I know it's a gamble... expensive one at that... and I know I hate throwing parts at a problem.
There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

HappyMan

It may well be worth trying.  The mechanic has it now and we are touching base tomorrow.  He took it out this evening when I dropped it off.  Seems level headed and a good bloke.  

I was concerned that on my trip to the dealer it wouldn't surge but it did.  Here is what has been happening.  If this triggers any ideas for anyone I'll gladly pass it on to the mechanic.

I generally notice it above 4000 rpm but have found that for the most part it happens anytime I bring up the revs and then slowly back down with the throttle close to closed.  It feels like I'm hitting a head wind or perhaps it's just a bump in the road but it never goes away and then suddenly without notice she'll jerk real hard once or maybe two to three times.  Hard enough that if I was laying it into a corner I'd probably go down.  

Also, when sitting in the parking lot I tried to duplicate the problem.  When I bring her up to about 4k or any steady RPM I can see the tach bounce.  It's not steady and I can hear it kind of run rough like it's hunting for a steady rpm.

Bixxer Bob

My bad TPS was only at low revs 2-3k on a light throttle; pulling above that and overrun where fine.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

HappyMan

Thanks BB.  I'm waiting to hear from the mechanic today.  I spoke with him yesterday and he said he tried a little different tuning and it seemed to be running better.  The owner was going to take it out for a ride last night.  I mentinioned the TPS problem you had and he said everything scoped out fine and that wouldn't be it.....

I think I'll take it back this weekend and see how she's running.  We get to know our bikes so well that the smallest change in how it's running is noticeable to us but not usually noticeable to others.  At least in this case it would eventually jerk hard so you knew there was something wrong and that it wasn't just a head wind making you feel like it was surging.