News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

no spark in gear

Started by jafsteph, June 01, 2010, 07:04:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jafsteph

:? apologies for this long post.
 just to pick your brains, bought the bike couple of months ago drove the bike home 250 miles and the bike ran OK , the bike had a data tool alarm on it, put the bike on my workbench started to work on it disconnected my battery and my alarm went off, used my key fob to switch it off but it kept coming on every minute and reactivating itself. so i took the alarm off because i got fed up with the noice. done all my servicing to the bike and my DAR aswell. fired the bike up, balenced carbs, everything hunkydory, put the bike back together, then when i got chance to take it for a test run, stuck it into gear and then instantly dead! my cluch switch works ok comes in and out as it should, i have cheacked my side stand thats OK, but i cant find my side stand relay or any block connectors for it to fit into but my wiring diagram shows that it should be there and also the manual says certain models incorporates in the ignition igniter unit. if my igniter unit is ku-put is there anyway i can cheat as the bike still runs in neutral.
if i have missed the obvious then please let me know. as i am pulling any hair that i have left out.  :BangHead

Mustang

hook the alarm back up and I bet everything is fine again .
the alarm connectors are what complete the ground circuit for the safety circuit  .IE clutch switch and side stand switch
when the bike is in neutral it bypasses this ground connection ..but as soon as you put it in gear bang you lose the ground circuit to the igniter . there is a dummy plug on the alarm sounder connector if you don't have an alarm that completes the ground circuit to the igniter

jafsteph

:oops: Hi Mustang, my alarm is long gone, its ended its life in a bucket of water.  I'v put all the wires back as they should be i.e. colour coded as it came out of the factory.

Mustang

find where you are losing the ground wire that goes back to the igniter I bet money you missed something when you removed the alarm

its the black wire with yellow stripe .................

jafsteph

:? My black and yellow wire is the earth/negative going to have a play with it on Thursday, Thanks Mustang.

Mustang

if your bike is a 98 the side stand relay is under the tail pc next to the fuse box

if your bike is a 95 or 96 or 97  the side stand relay is by the left rear corner of the gas tank .

jafsteph

i have looked high and low for it and found nothing there is a possability that it has been removed and replaced by the alarm. The person that fitted the alarm broke into the wiring harness in one place by the battery box, all i can find there is the starter relay and no block connectors for the side stand relay  :?

rf9rider

I had the same problem on mine when i first got it, although mine had no alarm fitted.
I had a couple of dodgy connections where the neutral switch wiring connects to the neutral switch at the bottom left side of engine, also where the side stand wiring connector block joins, again the left had side, halfway up, near/behind the alternator, you might have loosened it or forgot to connect it after doing the DAR?
Quick spray with WD40 cured my problem, worth trying before you mess around with your wiring?

jafsteph

:D  Thank's for the advice guys, finally sussed the sparking problem out.  It needed to be looped out the grey/grey&white.  Triumph wiring comes already wired up for a factory fitted alarm as an optional extra and at the back by the tail piece there is a plug which should have a plug into it to loop it out.   :P  :lol:

Mustang

Quote from: "jafsteph":D  Thank's for the advice guys, finally sussed the sparking problem out.  It needed to be looped out the grey/grey&white.  Triumph wiring comes already wired up for a factory fitted alarm as an optional extra and at the back by the tail piece there is a plug which should have a plug into it to loop it out.   :P  :lol:

Quote from: "Mustang"there is a dummy plug on the alarm sounder connector if you don't have an alarm that completes the ground circuit to the igniter

that's what I was trying to tell ya in my first post to you  :roll:

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: "Mustang"there is a dummy plug on the alarm sounder connector

I don't think Mustang was trying to be sarcastic but I would listen to him unless you want a good spanking or spend hours trying to figure it out  :wink:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

jafsteph

:D couldnt see the wood for the trees i now understand what mustang was saying about the plug. just waiting for a few more bits and out for a ride speek to you soon :D