News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Air Box Eliminator...?

Started by pKp, June 07, 2010, 07:20:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishnbiker

it was done a long time ago ( 9 years), but I seem to remember #130 main jets with the stock needle set at the middle notch. I still have a lot of usable power as low as 2,000 rpm, but it has a noticable increase starting around 4,200, going to warp drive around 5,500. My homemade K&N mod increased the breathing surface area of the stock airbox from 49 sq in up to 55 sq in, absolutely demanding more fuel input. More Hp is nice

Dealing with the original stupid design was my driving force to re-engineer it. I can now remove, clean & re-install in about 10 minutes without touching the carbs or the fuel tank. It's held in place with the 3 hose clamps plus 2 through bolts that attach to a pair of straps hung from the coil mounts. I also replaced the inline fuel filter with an external unit & melted a hole in the top off the in-tank filter, allowing less flow restrictions

The only issue I have ever had was a partial stall after flooding the airbox in a deep puddle ... 15 ~20 seconds of coughing & it cleared on its own. I was going too fast, the next puddle was taken slower with no problems.
Ken/Fishnbiker
& Felix, blue 95 Tiger, & Buzz, 08 blue Suzuki DR 650 SE, & Mini-D, 97 white Suzuki DR 350 SE

foureyessa

Hey fishnbike. what model K & N or part number was that. It looks great and my buddy who does my mechanical work hated the oem air box set up/
Tanx

fishnbiker

Quote from: "foureyessa"Hey Fishnbiker. what model K & N or part number was that. It looks great and my buddy who does my mechanical work hated the oem air box set up/
Tanx

Can't possibly remember the part numbers. This work was done last century. The original unit was for a Porsche 911, but heavily modified, about 10~12 hours cutting, machining, & re-welding. I did it as an exercise in fabrication. Not cheap either, I think it was about $175 for the parts alone. I don't think it could be copied for less than $500 if not a "do it yourself" project.

I think that my original idea of just cutting the horns off the rear of the existing airbox & rejetting is a much more sensible way to go. You can then use a K & N insert, or just the stock modified airbox system that can be easily changed out as required. See photo. I used this system for over a year as proof of concept before going to the fancy one. It was covered over with the stock side panels, so hidden & protected. I can supply more info for this if wanted. This would still allow the snorkel attachments to be used for storage ... I carry tie wraps, wire, brake & clutch levers, bulbs wrapped n handrags, etc.
Ken/Fishnbiker
& Felix, blue 95 Tiger, & Buzz, 08 blue Suzuki DR 650 SE, & Mini-D, 97 white Suzuki DR 350 SE