News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Air Box Eliminator...?

Started by pKp, June 07, 2010, 07:20:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pKp

Okay - kind of new to Tigers...still sucking my thumb more like it. Hear me out...

For all the whining, complaining, swearing, bitchin', moaning, throwing, and name-calling about the Steamer air box, not one post about getting rid of the damn thing.

Anybody done/though about throwing it in the trash and going with 3 K&N pod filters - maybe with the dust covers for that adventure look? Probably have to fab some sort of bracket to hold up the breather side of the carb stack.

Might not even fit - like the box. Might make sense if the bike already had a free-flow exhaust - maybe re-jetted too?

At any rate it sure would make life worth living again.

Who's with me...!

JetdocX

The reason for the airbox is for intake resonance.  It runs better with the airbox than without.  Removing the airbox will most likely result in a large hole where the power band used to be.  Good luck, though.  Please post pics.
From parts unknown.

cousindave

While not trying it myself, it is possible. I've actually seen kits for the conversion. But you will have to re-jet and tune your carbs to handle the added airflow. Just try removing the cap on the second snorkel with your present setup and you'll see what I mean.

Good luck!

Mustang

The gains you get in one area come at a compromise somewhere else .........
the triumph triple runs the best overall thrughout the entire RPM range with the silly air box the way it comes from the factory  :shock:

It aint that bad to do once you have done it a few times
I can get carbs out and back in pretty quick and easy .  :roll:

sometimes You might hear me swear  though  :ImaPoser

Jaythro

Hey MUstang is there a Low Down in the forum on what is involved in stripping out the air filter / airbox

Also reasons Why you should need to remove the airbox

I'm working thru problems with My Steamer as you may have already noticed with the fuel tank mod!

I'm gonna zap teh carbs before long but always good to know if anything else should be goin on!

Colonel Nikolai

Didn't some guy convert his tigger to use an airbox from a Porsche Boxer?
Mostly commuting around town on the Steamer these days.

cousindave

Quote from: "Colonel Nikolai"Didn't some guy convert his tigger to use an airbox from a Porsche Boxer?

That hardly sounds like an upgrade  :lol:

Seriously though, not sure how that "simplifies" the matter?

pKp

Seems like somebody should have the low-down on and air box eliminator for a Steamer - Including best carb settings. They've been doing this for years on the Twins - often called the best mod you can do for the money.

The bike I bought already has a Yoshi exhaust - not sure what the carb tweaks are yet - will know later this week. AND, neither snorkel had a cap on it - suggesting the PO was running it that way. AND, when I pulled the spark plugs they looked great - maybe a little greyish, but certainly with limits for lean running.

All that being said - I'm in there now fixing a broken ring. Maybe all this is related?

I'll put it to a vote - I have all the stuff to go back completely stock. Should I go big, or go home...

JetdocX

If you want to do all the hard work for us, I'll standby and watch.  I may even get you a cold beer while I wait. :lol:
From parts unknown.

nightrunner

Years ago, before this group existed, there were a couple of yahoo groups on Tigers and that was the place for all the chat and info.  I recall a fellow there who said he did try the pods.  He concluded what Mustang said above.  Just couldn't get it to run right over the whole RPM range.  One of the Yahoo groups is gone but you might try searching the archives of the remaining one.
Scott

Seeking adventure and peril

pKp

Yea - that's kind of what I thought. I've searched for similar carbed triples, and no luck there either. And, after staring at the Tiger for a while - I think I'm going back to full stock. Lucky for me the PO took off the original exhaust early and it looks new. Soooo...back to the future for me!

JetdocX

I was pissed off like you once upon a time:

This is what I ended up with.  Still using the same main filter element years later.

http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,4385&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=airbox&start=0
From parts unknown.

Tomas03

Quote from: "JetdocX"I was pissed off like you once upon a time:

This is what I ended up with.  Still using the same main filter element years later.

http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,4385&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=airbox&start=0

That is just a seriously clever and simple solution. :idea:  :eusa_clap
Daniel
Home is where the tiger is.

1998 Volcanic Red Steamer
1972 Honda XL250 MotoSport (the original dual purpose)
1982 Kwaka Gpz 550 race bike
1983 Mercedes 230TE wagon tow vehicle

fishnbiker

Quote from: "cousindave"
Quote from: "Colonel Nikolai"Didn't some guy convert his tigger to use an airbox from a Porsche Boxer?

That hardly sounds like an upgrade  :lol:

Seriously though, not sure how that "simplifies" the matter?

That would be me that did the Porsche conversion. Sorry I didn't butt in earlier ... been out riding some gravel & fishing for 10 days.

Photos will have to be dug out of deep storage. You can see a poor copy at the Yahoo Triumph Tiger group. Photo 1 shows the concept stage, running 6 months like that to prove out jetting. The snorkel tubes were cut off just long enough to allow easy service without touching the carbs. Photo 2 shows the final project completed about 9 years ago. Still running strong after 50,000 miles since conversion. Jetting was fun to set up, but it was worth it overall. I still get over 40 mpg (US), dyno'd at 101 hp with only a little loss of power under 4,000 rpm.

It was an engineering idea to satisfy my compulsive tinkering habits. Other changes since include a 3 into 1 conversion from a Girly header, with a GSXR titanium can, widened engine guard & belly pan to protect the new pipe, 21 in front rim, Mustang's quick change sprocket access conversion,  running 17 & 19 tooth sprockets (can be changed in12 minutes), Aeronca's aluminum mount with motocross fender,2" bar risers, double layered Powerbronze windshield etc, etc

Photo 1  
http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/UM8qTOA0sG ... loseup.jpg

Photo 2
http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/UM8qTGwFX- ... %20pix.jpg
Ken/Fishnbiker
& Felix, blue 95 Tiger, & Buzz, 08 blue Suzuki DR 650 SE, & Mini-D, 97 white Suzuki DR 350 SE

pKp

Perfect Steamer! What did you land on for carb tuning - jets, settings, etc.